1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drained Battery, 848 Won't Jump Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by redsail, Aug 13, 2015.

1. I'm also surprised the jump lead caused such a problem. It was a bit on the thin side, would it really have that much resistance to prevent turning over?

2. Good news. There are two relays on the right side of the battery box. They are prone to water ingress. The front relay is for the fans and the rear relay is for the coils/injectors/fuel pump. They are 4 pin micro relays and cost £1.99 each on eBay. I would replace both.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. cheep jump leads really are bollox. bin em. :upyeah:

4. ^ now you are provided with a location on the bike I would definitely check these two out for signs of moisture or green or dark traces of slight corrosion on contacts redsail. You can combat this in the future by using a neutral pH grease like silicon or Vaseline, don't be afraid to splash it all over.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Yep, any bargain basement/small diameter/aluminium ( immediately weakened if flexed several times) section type need chucking in the dustbin, first obvious test to see if they are failing is that they get extremely hot.

6. exige might have a use for em. :Angelic::smile:

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. Just got back from a ride, all is well. But I will deffo check/replace the relays. And lube them up ;)

Funny thing with jump leads, I don't ever remember buying any, they just sort of turn up. Will bin these ones and maybe another pair will appear.

8. funny thing with jump leads, you lend em out and they never come back.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HAhaHA - thats a good and so true observation from life :)

Thanks for the comments above - I know its many years old topic - but I recently bought a Duci 848 and have same issue - voltage meter on dash shows 11,8V and pressing the starter button only makes one click sound...
    I will go changing the battery and hope I'm good. Otherwise I must dig in a little deeper to the forums on this matter...
    however just 2 months ago on 7th March it started up no problem....so I'm a little worried if battery really died on me with these past 2 months sitting in a garage... :confused:

PS! anybody want to suggest which battery is best for that type of bike? Its my first Italian - so I'm a little out of my comfort zone here :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's not unusual and even guaranteed if you have a tracker or alarm.

When you buy your new battery, keep the bike connected to a battery tender, it'll be the best moeny you'll ever spend.

11. Yuasa_YTX14H-BS_Batteria_Moto.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yuasa are probably the best and widely available, be wary of batteries on ebay that claim to be gel (Motobats are the worst offender for this for some reason) when they are simply expensive AGM lead acids

13. second this, I had issues with mine on a NEW bike, the connectors had moisture, condensation or whatever in them from the bike being sat in storage, ended up with a PUMP16 fuel relay issue. Dealer replaced both and never had an issue again. on my recent 848 I routinely used to check them all out.

14. I think the OEM option for 2008 Ducati 848 should be YT12B-BS (Yuasa 10,5Ah and 210A) - dims 150x69x130mm.
    YTX14H-BS (Yuasa 12,6Ah and 240A) dims 150x87x145mm meaning the depth and height of the battery are much bigger and I'm afraid that the height doesn't fit my rides battery compartment...?

15. Did you measure it?

16. Read this thread - the 848 box part numbers mirrored the 1098 / 1198 boxes...
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/help-bike-won’t-start.77961/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information