1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Dropped Bike: Broken Hand Guard

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MotoNik, Mar 31, 2019.

1. you are welcome :) I love to spend on my bike but I also make sure they are functional. you wont be dissappointed. There was someone in this forum who had a fall in speed and the bike when sliding. There were only heavy scuff on the barkbusters and some on his crashbar but the whole bike was unscratched. So tried and tested these!

2. I'm thinking SW Motech crash bars and barkbusters - is that the brand you have?

3. No I bought the HEED crashbars which are built like a tank as well. They cost about £133, first I thought they might be some weak crashbars but damn those things are dense and solid. Workmanship and powder coating is spot on. its like an exoskeleton and IMHO looks better than Ducatis expensive ones.

I didnt like the rounded looks of some of the crashbars or the bikini style of the Ducati ones lol. Some frown it looks ugly but this is not a panigale and its a heavy bike, you panels are dear to replace I dont mind a little beefed up look!

20190324_151524.jpg 20190324_151505.jpg

4. Sadly they don't appear to offer crash bars for the Enduro - but thank you for the recommendation.

5. yes I just checked but if you email them you never know they might get one done and send it. It wont be too different from the DVT I would think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Just a heads up that the conquest site is now working & has a range of new full six carbon bits.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Those look good! Not bad for a pair, too.

8. The standard crash bars on my 2013 didnt help mine much when it went down as the panels above still got smashed .....the handguards didnt do much better either along with the levers and pegs

but it did hit the deck at about 70 - 80 mph :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the defence of the crash bars it had previously gone over twice, once at walking speed onto wet grass and stationary onto tarmac with no damage at all apart from a slight scuff to the paint on the crash bars

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blimey! At that speed I'd say the bike fared pretty well - I hope you did too!

10. Unfortunately my left shoulder muscles, tendons and rotator cuff got mullered during the tumbling and bouncing off the crash barriers and after 8 months of seeing doctors and waiting i am currently sat with my arm in a sling after surgery to fix all the damage 3 weeks ago.

I have a replacement Multi i picked up on the first week in October but couldnt ride due to the shoulder damage ..... couple of months of rehab and physio and should be finally back on the bike :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Good on you for getting back on a bike, and I hope your recovery continues quickly!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Would flip up levers have been a solution?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Not in this instance, as the handlebar levers were untouched. The plastic hand guard was smashed, and the gear lever was bent - I’m not really sure what might have protected that.

14. I've just ordered some SW Motech crash bars. The video on their website of chucking a 1200 GS down the road to test them was enough to sway me into believing they make a sturdy product!

For anyone else that's in the market for some crash bars, here is a badly listed auction for some very reasonably priced Ducati (Touratech) bars:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/96780561B-DUCATI-ENGINE-SIDE-PROTECTORS/113701651935

I think these are usually over £400.

15. Taking advantage of the current discussion going on, how easy or difficult is to disassemble the OE ones and to replace them?

16. Do you mean the hand guards? It’s literally a few screws to remove them. Very straightforward.

17. Yes, the hand guards. Is not the brake fluid reservoir in the middle?

Long story Long ;)
    I posted a picture in the “for sale” forum because I fell last weekend and I damaged the side case and the hand protection. I already had an appointment to do the yearly maintenance on the 1st of April, so I told the dealer to replace the hand protection too. I got an email today they are still waiting for the it; I told them I will pick up the bike tomorrow, and they can send me the hand protection to install it myself when it will arrive to the dealer, but they answered it was too complicated to do at home. So, this is why I am asking.

18. Yes, the fluid reservoir is attached, but it's really only a case of undoing a few screws. It's really not that difficult.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. I agree it's very simple, I've replaced a fair few!

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information