1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping Yokes?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Pylwagl, Apr 22, 2017.

1. I'm currently re-installing the forks on my SS following a rebuild. The tops of the fork tubes were previously fitted flush with the top yoke. I've heard that dropping the yokes down on the fork tubes a little (15mm?) can quicken the steering response. Does this really make any noticeable difference?
    TIA
    Stu

2. Yes it is true - but the amount depends on which SS / which fork manufacturer (and in some cases which front tyre profile).

3. It will definitely make a noticeable difference and the same applies to all bikes.
    Bear in mind though that "quicker steering" is another way of saying "less stable steering" and if you go too far it could be dangerously so.
    15mm sounds like quite a lot so if you try that much all in one go then be cautious when you first ride it. I might try 5 to 10mm myself at first.
    Also note that it will effectively mean that your sidestand becomes longer and the bike won't lean so far on it as it used to.

4. Not sure what the what the standard projection of stanchion above top yoke is, as standard set-up dimension is taken from the u/s of the bottom yoke (13mm? 14mm?), but I've currently got mine set at 23mm above top yoke (to top of sanction, not cap). Handling is a bit sharper, although not as much as one might expect, but absolutely no issues re stability.
    No problems with sidestand either.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

5. The Marzocchi shocks have rings around the top of the fork shrouds forming bands which IIRC are 5mm wide - the normal setting for those shocks on the 750 and 600 is four bands showing above the yoke, ie 20mm.

On the 900 with Showa fully adjustable shocks, again IIRC the normal dimension is 9 - 18mm - when I fitted them to my 750, I had them at 20 or 25mm.

25mm would have made it steer too quickly, by fitting the 900ss 70 profile front tyre, it slowed it up enough, but it handled like a race bike - wobbly at starting off speed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information