1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Drunk Bought A 996s..what Could Go Wrong !

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Slingy123, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Lovely, I'd keep the 996S as it's a good basis to turn it into something really clean, missing numbers aside. The other bit of good news is you can't afford to go out drinking now so you'll be as skinny as a rake soon, if you aren't already! win win

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don’t think that every 996S is necessarily going to be affected to be honest, and yes, fine for sorting it out that’s the bit I enjoy.

#22 Chris, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  3. its more an issue with the 996S version, due to the Double Injector set up and P6 Ecu rather than the P8 ( SPS / double pick ups) my regular 996 wasn't like it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. So…. Some petrol on a rag and gave the tyres a decent clean off, thanks, that done the job. Went for a slightly longer ride and have a few observations.

The 996 is lazier below 6000rpm than the 748, but then really comes alive once you start using the full rpm !!

The 996 handles like a drunk cow… I’m mean it’s absolutely bloody awful!! I did notice already all the compression and rebound setting are miles out compared to the 748’s , so a full going over and starting at factory setting is needed.

Tyres are past their best so some fresh rubber required

The 748 is mega comfortable and doesn’t hurt my neck or wrists at all, the 996 killed me in about 6 miles. The 748 is MUCH lower so will try set the 996 up the same as the 748, comfort over looks I’m afraid.

Finally, Speedo is a MPH speedo but it’s appears to be reading on Km ? Are there different speedo drives or someone ? It’s definitely over reading distance by a country mile, and possibly the speed too, but I would need someone to ride with me to confirm that bit.

So far so good, but it will want some going over to get to my standard. Have a free pic with fairing removed… dunno why, just cos :)

6E953DD0-7FA7-45B0-9D20-298FB8383301.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  5. I have a feeling my 748 was like this and I think my mates original 748R was, because someone had put the MOT in as 14k Miles so there was a sudden jump in mileage when it wasn't actually true.

Incidentally my RS125 and RS250 Aprilia's also did this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Here’s an old PB set-up as a start point

AD4C39D6-05C7-4F67-8E5A-023F54243AAE.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Is that for an S with Ohlins rear and Ti Showa up front ? Many thanks !

• Like Like x 1
  8. That sir, is a very special and expensive original Ducati frame protector for the tie-downs. ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. ping me a PM and ill send you PDF

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I'm one of the many who simply throws in a bid at the last minute. Then two seconds later I either own the item or not.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Get your Karcher out, there's no tyre gel I've ever come across that can resist the force!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hi Chris, sorry I didn’t mean to nit-pick.
    The 996 and 996s have some differences.
    The 996s uses a sps motor without the secondary pick up that is used with the sps P8 ecu( used to manage the twin fuel injector per cylinder)
    As the s version uses the twin injector per cylinder as per the sps, but the p6 ecu struggles to control the twin injectors per cylinder. This is where the dirty fueling at 3-4.5k rpm comes from.

#33 Nathanhu, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 2
  13. Thanks Nathan, I am at home with all of this and more, but a bit more rusty than you. If we were both to search on here, there are several threads I commented on and the wealth of the Forum of course. It was almost certainly a homologation feature, and I think they knew it was "touch and go" at the time with the limitations of injector delivery at the time. I used the Ultimap chip to change to single injector on one occasion, I think I might still have a spare, but Power Commander is another route but prefer the former myself. :upyeah: have returned p.m.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. But do either of you have a 1098r ?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Well the first part arrived today… couldn’t really say no to an original 996 biposta seat unit in the original red for the grand sum of £50 ! I do like the one on the bike with white number boards but the damaged paint on the side annoyed the life out of me. I will hunt down a monoposto seat unit at some point but this was a quick fix
    2041F770-0280-433F-B547-4CEC608EE1AD.jpeg 120B8C1C-B480-4627-A22B-202393619328.jpeg E1C1AA69-A319-48AD-A90A-2B8457F2F887.jpeg 87E51AC6-EA49-4367-B428-E0551BC970B4.jpeg

I also went through all the suspension settings on both bikes. Wrote down what each bike was set too and then mirrored the 748’s setting onto the 996. The 748’s settings were no where near factory setting but then I’m only 12 stone wet and the bike rides beautifully for my style so don’t feel the need to alter it. 996 now has the same suspension setup and hopefully a road test will show a vast improvement over before…I mean it literally could not handle any worse so nothing lost there :D

• Like Like x 4
  16. She's a keeper. Splendid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. That she is ! Proper petrolhead, when I used to build cars and twin turbo them she would whinge if mine was faster than hers. So I built her a twin turbo auto GTO that ran on Methanol.. she was quicker than me in the 1/4 mile in that one. Her current daily is a 4.8L V8 650 BMW, Now she’s eyeing up my 748 :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. My girlfriend didn't even notice I swapped placement of the 996 and the 900 ss in my living room...
    I mean.. WTF! she can't tell a superbike from a supersport! "they are both red but the plates differ..." sigh....
    I'll keep her, she can't help it... has other qualities....

#39 NineNineSix, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. The drive unit in the front wheel is the same regardless of whether it’s supposed to be an mph or Kmh bike, it’s the dash unit and it’s display that’s different. Thus you can swap a mph dash unit for a Kmh dash unit with impunity.

AFAIK, the only difference is the display of units under the needle. ie where the needle points at 50mph will be exactly the same position it will be in on a Kmh speedo just the number on the Kmh dial will be 8/5ths of the mph dial ie 80kmh. Look at these two side by side

7D4C3BF7-FF99-4A3D-A52F-A6B9B91E2B0E.jpeg

If you believe it’s not giving an accurate reading then it may be the gearing inside the display unit that’s fubar.

You could get a cheapy gps Speedo unit off eBay to ascertain or use an app such as MyRide and check what it says was your top speed on a run compared to what you saw displayed.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information