1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Drunk Bought A 996s..what Could Go Wrong !

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Slingy123, Oct 12, 2021.

1. my 2001 996S in KM. Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 14.06.30.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Thanks all,

I guess we figured the bike is all legit and everything checks out apart from it’s had a speedo change at point of import from some of unknown origin.

Can’t really complain for the money then ! Will pull it down in winter and give it a good going through and possibly a new paint job. My paint guy is usually booked for months though so may have to live with a tatty mid fairing for now .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yellow

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. So not done much since playing with the suspension. Watching a few small bits and pieces on fleebay but apart from that I’ve tucked the bikes away for now.

GSXR was cleaned, brimmed with fresh E5 and about 100ml engine oil mix, carb bowls drained and battery conditioner connected. That won’t see daylight until May or so . Usually manage around a 1000 miles a year over summer on it but only when it’s an absolute peach of a day.

748, 996s and B-King just had tanks brimmed with fresh fuel, cleaned and covers thrown on

GS500 winter hack and wife’s CB500, just dumped in the back of the pile ready for winter service :laughing:

One thing I noticed while packing bikes away is how small the 748 was compared to the GSXR… almost comical really . Anyways I’m off for 2 weeks of sun, sea and hopefully no bloody A&E. I hope to get stuck into the 996 when I’m back :cool:
    8009383C-47FB-4C78-BC43-6061DD3FF2E3.jpeg 9BA88A18-E7F7-4D5E-827F-761277528BB5.jpeg 1905A65F-0F47-4378-B929-DA3D4BED2EE1.jpeg 62A680A0-68C6-41BA-9572-275710E13B74.jpeg 956C5827-F0AC-4D8B-A292-2FF9AF4B9FA0.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Yep - been there, done that (more than once), drunk bid, wake up next morning owning the latest toy! TBF never regretted any and always a good deal…..
    On another note, you mentioned brimming the tanks before laying them up for winter - is that the consensus of opinion the best way to store? I’ve put my Senna II in the hallway (just for winter). Unsure what to do with the fuel - empty or brim it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Petrol in your house might shock your insurer!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. You've hit on a controversial one Ducatimally, and you might find equal votes in both camps (full or empty) and as such it's easier for me not to comment. All I will say is, some add a stabiliser when brimming so worth looking into. (as said - Keith beat me to it!) your House Insurers could be unhappy if you declare "full" so worth taking this into account and also, re: "plastic" tanks made using PA6 - not sure how much you've read already, but don't be afraid of Ethanol necessarily although ideally you would have none or lowest content possible. if you decide not to fully drain it's more of a factor if the tank is half full/quarter full and/or the bike is stored in an environment where temperatures drastically fluctuate or is constantly in a damp environment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sps motor is same as S is a common mis-conception. Some were, parts bin specials end of line and use what they had, most weren’t

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. only way to be sure is to check the Cams and rods..... but a quick run on the dyno and anything over 120 at the rear wheel is a strong indicator that its not a standard 996 112-115 rwhp

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Some people prefer to empty the tanks due to fuel going off and attracting moisture. I am the opposite and prefer to brim tank and leave as little space for oxygen as possible. I’ve got a tank in the garage from a bike that stood for 4 years with E5 in it. There is a distinct rust tide mark where the tank had about 1/3rd fuel in it. The rust is above the fuel line, the lower part of the tank is fine which for me goes along with my theory. I know E10 is more prone to attracting moisture, but over how long a period? I would expect it to take years to attract enough moisture to cause rust below the fuel line. Plastic petrol tanks are a different game and I would probably opt to drain and empty one for storage over winter.

As pointed out though, I definitely wouldn’t be brimming a bike stored indoors, that’s risky as hell IMO. Lovely bike though, deserved of a decent parking place :)

11. @Slingy123 those covers look good, 2hat size did you buy for the 996 ? Med or large ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. The 996 and 748 are a Large and the fit is perfect and snug , they are Oxford Protec Stretch and about £35-40 on Amazon.

Annoyingly though the sizes are all over the place. A medium is tiny and doesn’t even remotely fit the wife’s little 500, a large fits it but could be a fraction bigger ideally, and a XL is sized for the titanic ! So anything bigger than the tiny 748/9** bikes requires an XL really.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Perfect thanks mate, I was going to go for a medium so glad I asked. I'll get a large for my 996s

• Like Like x 1
  14. No worries, a medium would have been a bit like Rebel Wilson in a thong :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. my initial response is (f/u)

You all missed what I said so I wish you all the best and crack on.

16. I just noticed on my 996 the speedo has a small red line at 55 mph and the temp gauge is in Fahrenheit.

US model?

17. It's possible, but it could have been fitted with whatever parts we're to hand when it was built....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information