1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dss And Fuel Sender Fault

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Twin4me, May 17, 2018.

1. As you would expect mine is identical to bradders ...

2. I’d hardly rate P&H either. Only seemed to show an interest in buying. Found the salesman quite rude, he’d just switch off mid conversation because he didn’t actually have any interest in what I had to say other than dealing with the sale.

Service wise, very busy because they’re a big company. That probably leads to ridiculous targets for the service team. Didn’t like dealing with them at all. Didn’t actually respond to some issues, just glossed over them. Had the head service guy trying to tell me to buy a new chain and sprockets. I’d only done them a few hundred miles earlier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. My understanding is that the Touratwat seat (sorry Ducati Comfort Seat, made by Touatech) uses that same plastic base as the "non-comfort" seat supplied as standard. Even if it does use a different base, it's a Ducati accessory so there shouldn't be an issue with trapping cables (IMHO).

Just had a look under the seat on my 2017 DVT and the cable in question is routed well out of the way to one side held in place with a standard rubber cable tidy. The non-standard small black tyrap above was installed by me to hold the battery tender cable out of way. By the way, I use a Comfort seat and have done for the last 2,000 odd miles.

upload_2018-6-5_19-29-7.png

4. Have P&H done any work that would warrant them having that unit out and putting it back wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Big question for me. Has the unit been out at any time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The shock has never been out. Of course it might be that the photo was taken after they diagnosed the fault and exposed for the photo to send to Ducati.
    Seems somewhat irregular though.

Heading down there soon to get more explanations and pick the bike up.

Of course the fuel sender is still on back order!

7. So went and picked the bike up.

My first concern was the way they had left the wire on the new unit, it was looped up in the air which made me feel like it would get trapped or worn again.
    [​IMG]

I went and looked at a brand new 1200S in the showroom and the lead liked like this:
    [​IMG]

As you can see it's tucked well away. They added a cable tie and tucked it away. The main seat does not contact this area, it could conceivably get trapped by the pillion seat.
    The mechanic told me he didn't want to 'pinch' the wire!

When I asked to look at the damage the mechanic said that there was a bit of electrical taps over the 'cut'. Now I'm 100% sure this was NOT me, so I fail to understand how this was damaged, or who tried to cover it up.

You can see it looks more like a cut than wear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The service manager is back from the IOM on Monday. I've left the old unit on hie desk so lets see what happens. Hopefully he will ask for a goodwill repair from Ducati.

I have to say that the new shock feels totally different? One of the issues I had with the bike when I first got it was that the back skipped off the top of bumps and I had to soften the suspension right down, this unit feels as smooth as silk.

8. Are you the first owner? Thats a big chunk out of that cable!

9. First owner from new

10. I'd be on to Ducati direct. Maybe @Tim Maccabee could help point you in the right direction.

End of the day, this will be one of those 'I didn't do it' vs 'we didn't do it' between you and dealer.

I'm crossing my fingers for you :fist:

11. The fact they’ve done the same on the new unit, suggests to me they did it on the first unit.

12. BTW is it just that cable thats affecting it? Is this a CAN line? If not, why cant they cut and repair?

If you end up paying, got to be worth a shot before spunking 4 figures!

13. So thats a new unit!?! Its clearly fitted wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. So you're paying 2500 for a split in the insulation? The metal of the wire looks OK? Someone mentioned "good will"...... But it's under fecking warranty! ! No way should you pay mate, not a chance

15. If he hasn't already cleared the bill, I'd be saying 'see you in court' and finding another dealer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Poor dudes been turfed over imo. I'd be fucking livid Paul. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Seeing the updates to this thread has convinced me that P&H are a dealer that I would not do any business with. The cable routing of the replacement unit is just plain ‘sloppy’.

I can’t see how that cable has been damaged by ‘wear and tear’, it looks like a straight forward slice. Send the pictures to DUK along with some of the examples on here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Before we start blaming everyone let me say that I made the decision to pay at this point as I'm going on the long planned EMM trip to the alps next week. I didn't have time to argue. The cost was less than originally quoted (£1,800)

I don't know how the cut happened.
    I'm positive it wasn't me that damaged the cable and tried to cover it up
    I may have trapped the cable in the seat (if it had moved somehow) but it seems odd that I would do this when it's been fine for over 2 years.
    I don't 'think' the dealer would try and cover this up, they went out of their way to diagnose the fault and repair it in time.
    I've been told that as this is part of the Cambus system it cannot be cut down or soldered as this would change the resistance and could cause more issues (I'm a bit sceptical about this)
    That said:
    If I'd known that Ducati hadn't already authorised the repair (what I was led to believe when I spoke to the service manager) and then rejected it then I may have attempted a repair before agreeing to pay
    The dealer recently serviced the bike and I've only done 140 miles since the service
    I did have an extended 2 years of warranty which I would expect to cover this damage/fault

At the end of the day the dealer has helped me out by shuffling their work load and diagnosing and fixing the fault in time for my trip
    They have helped me in the past with goodwill warranty claims when my cylinder head leaked on the old 1200
    I will see what happens when the service manager returns next week before escalating it.

HOWEVER - The fuel gauge is now working again :)

19. Glad you have a working bike again Chris, I shall stand the ‘rescue’ vehicle down !

Still think the whole episode stinks mate .....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. That looks a very sloppy replacement fit to me

I wouldn’t be excepting that, and I certainly would fight tooth n nail to get the 1st failure paid for by Ducati if your bike is still in warranty

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information