1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Dual Dipping Headlight?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by doogalman, May 16, 2016.

1. I have a dual dipping headlight ( both sides have main and dip).. Which markets were they made for? Was it Australia?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. On a 916? I've never seen such a thing, I'm thinking it's aftermarket. Australia got a pig ugly square headlight in the 916...

3. Christ! On a 916? " pig ugly " is mild!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. To be fair, this one's got some carbon fibre (or fake carbon?) to compensate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:Vomit:

5. My mate had a double dip on his brand new 996 back in 99.
    It wasn't aftermarket, it came like that.

6. Interesting, this is a CEV lamp

7. What's that Roy?

8. CEV were the oe manufacturers of the headlights. Never seen one before, but remember some markets having problems with legality of single dip.

9. :eek:Never knew that about the Aussie 916......Mind you,always knew they were odd.

10. I saw a double dip unit on ebay not so long ago, which was described as a Australian version. There have been other references to the oz conversion on various other forums over the years, the issue is the load that running two main/dip bulbs place on the rather marginal wiring the the headlamps

11. This is on or was on a 97 916 running the 2 wire regulator so pretty sure that it could explain the previous bodge on the loom. Got a spare regular headlamp to swap over. Will have a look at output ratings for my 996 and maybe put it on there.

12. Further research suggests that in Australia a bike must have symmetrical headlights both on low and high beam so, if it has 2 lights side-by-side they must both be on together (this may, in part be why the 999 had vertically stacked headlights?) meaning the either/or that we got on the 916 did not conform.

Given the 916 and early 748 had the single-phase alternator, Ducati decided that the electrical system couldn't (reliably) handle 2 headlights all the time and obviously didn't want warranty issues with burnt-out electrics so they fitted the square light (probably an off-the-shelf SS headlight unit to save development costs?) for the Australian market as an easy fix.

Apparently the original headlights were also sold there as an aftermarket part so that people could return their 916/748 to it's original beauty (and risk getting nicked by oz-plod) but they couldn't be sold that way.

Later on with the intro of the 996 with better 3-phase alternator which could (arguably) cope with the extra current draw they made a double-headlight with both on together for the Ozzy market, so the OP is correct that this is an Australian version, just not the ugly, square version that was originally fitted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  13. Has anyone had any luck with replacement bulbs ,say LED?As they use lower juice.

14. I use led for side lights idiot and dash-background light. So much better, except fot the mainbeam idiot light as it's then too bright.

15. Interesting trivia that!

So I wonder, does that mean the Assuie compliant848/1098/1198 and D16RR's also have both dipped headlights being operational at the same time when one?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information