1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dubcat Does Picos (2019)

Discussion in 'Touring' started by dubcat, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Where’s 5!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. They’ve gone mad in Dorset

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. He's a man of suspense that @dubcat :expressionless:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Very I thought he was a she :eek:

Is he related to TopCat?

5. You mean like "a walk on the wild side?"

Dubcat please (are you OK)

five.png

6. 515E8A87-6D77-468D-9DE4-815A1AC3ECC3.jpeg FB49B2C9-3F2E-4D96-AC31-4C3CB151CDE0.jpeg EE73CC2F-A167-4346-8D4E-989C489E00ED.jpeg 837F8B20-B965-4856-B1B6-27287814A653.jpeg

5 - Picos Day 1

This is probably the post you are looking for. I had an off. I’m a relatively new rider. We were in a section with extremely tight turns. There was a sheer rock face on the right and ravine with a river to the left. The floor was wet.

As I followed someone round at slow speed I knew I was going slightly too fast. The turn was getting tighter. I’d never been taught to use the back brake in any situation other than emergency brake and I was looking at the floor rather than where I wanted to go. I dabbed the front brake and lost the bike :(

The bike and I were sliding towards the ravine. Thank god for the Armco because we were definitely going down that ravine. The bike has spun and the tail tidy hit the Armco and bent. Amazingly the crash bungs protected the entire side of the bike! Other than damaged crash bungs the only damage we could find was a small scratch to the front mudguard and scratches to the exhaust link pipe. I’ve been incredibly lucky and I know that.

I was embarrassed at what I’d done. I jumped back on the bike ASAP despite others wanting to check me over and telling me to relax. The pain and loss of confidence didn’t come until the next day.

• Love You Love You x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Crap Crap x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  7. We all make mistakes. Main thing is that you are ok mate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Glad you dodged the ravine, the bikes in great shape and you are too. All good!

• Like Like x 2
  9. FYI I’m fine. My knee and shoulder were really sore the next day and my confidence was shot.. completely! I’ll write the day up later but as I write this it’s a couple of days later and the confidence is 100% back.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Desfiladero de los Beyos? N625 south of Cangas de Onis?

11. Glad you are ok and the bike is ok too. Live and learn, huh?

12. Could have been much worse, at least you will learn from this, and the damage being minimal is a bonus :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bloody Nora
    Glad your ok
    That back break is important and they don’t teach you about the importance of it really.

14. Phew! I guess we all kinda guessed you'd had an off from the earlier (suspenseful) post, but that you must have been OK as you were still posting (and keeping the suspense up). It's understandable there was a gap in the posts as you collected your thoughts and wits and I'm glad to read a) you're OK, but shaken up and that b) the bike's not suffered any major damage.

As Davebird says above, the back brake is important, even if it's a bit shitty on some Ducs, it steadies the bike in certain situations. It's also easily done, to grab a handful of front brake in a shitty situation, it's the natural reaction and we've all done it. It takes training (mental and physical) and experience to squeeze it progressively rather than grab, that way you've less chance of overloading the front and having it slip out from under you.

Give it time and your confidence will be back, just take it easy, no-one will care if you're the slowest in the group, just ride at your own pace.

Here's hoping the rest of your trip is safe and uneventful:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. It’s one thing that was never taught to me and that was how to save yourself going in too tight to a corner

It’s where newbies usually fall down after panicking and pulling front brake

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Managed to get out for a run before riding on day 1! Ran out 2.5 miles on roads and back 2.5 miles on trails. Lovely views!

E634CC43-902A-41F0-A2CE-96D0539B8315.jpeg 5B6F3D95-A97C-4B92-8F49-5F1B169FECC7.jpeg D9E7B58B-C355-4C42-BB34-1189C43EA59B.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  17. Day 1 ride looked like this. Very wiggly roads!

AD77E5AB-89A6-4EBE-90BC-F5CE63DA093A.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information