1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Ducati 749 With Problems

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Per R, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Haha guess you’re right, even though Trump probably wants to add additional ”e”s

2. So was the ecu fly lead clean?;)

3. Not sure if the 749 is the same but my ST4 had a similar issue when the side-stand safety relay went bad. All dash functions but no fuel pump whirr and totally dead at the start button (no click though). It's worth checking that relay - by linking it out to see if you can get the fuel pump to fire up.

4. not a bad shout!

5. I will adress this lead about five minutes after returning home from work today.

I think that it is working but I will try again tonight. Stand up and clutch in should be enough right!?

6. Shouldn't need the clutch in just stand up, but if the relay isn't making contact nothing will happen when you hit the start button. The tell-tale for me was the fuel pump whirring.
    If you put the stand up and down a few times it may work but that is then a sure sign it's on the way out.
    I have found that type of relay to be unreliable on both my ST4 and M900 where it was used as the main ignition relay. Easy fix if that is it :upyeah:

7. Hi
    Has the bike got a fitted alarm as well as the Ducati immobiliser ?
    The Datatool alarm failed on my 999 this summer (the bike had not been started for a few weeks and was on an Optimatr ) went to start it - nothing apart from lights came on - no fuel pump priming or starter turning or trying to .
    Located alarm and cut it out the wiring loom . Resoldered wires and insulated with shrink sleeve . All good since . ( starter cable upgrade is worth doing tho )

8. I see some light in the end of the tunnel. I hope it’s not the Frecciarossa.

The fuel pump relay is toast. It’s the non capsulated version. Current to it as well as signal from ECU works but I had 3 volts at the contact at the pump. Broke the capsuling off the relay and pinched it with my fingers and got a buzz from the pump. Look like shit inside it.

With the pump sorted (I hope), I am certain its a mechanical problem with the starter. I have started removing the side cover and will get it off during weekend.

The pump was most likely the reason it didn’t start and instead, I burned the starter.

I’ll get back to you when the starter is off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. @Per R I thought you were in Sweeeeden but now I see the Finish flag, have you moved today ?

10. I saw that to. Still in Sweeeden though and the profile still says Swedish. Maybe we swopped flags whilst I was spannering. No idea why.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Per talks too much to be a Fin ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I finally had time today to remove the left side engine cover and the problem was immediately apparent. Problem is, that washer probably has a fellow screw somwhere. I can’t really see how it could come from inside the engine though since the opening from the center of the engine for oil to flow through to the flywheel side, is small and the sump is deeper on the inside which would require the m6 washer to float.

93CF0ECC-FA81-47FB-8905-1A84D47D9E25.jpeg

6BA35895-B98B-4EF4-860C-0575EB880C36.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. :eek: o_O

14. that'll do it....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bloody hell! I came on here looking for some advice as my 749 has today done exactly the same thing (fuel primed then just a click - assumed starter was stuck!). I really hope this hasn't happened to mine too!

16. In my case, I can’t seem to find any other solution other than that washer being ”forgotten” in there when previous owner was solving other issue. In that case, removing a washer is cheap and I will rather do that than swopping the starter.

17. I would check that the jammed washer has not bent the starter main shaft

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I have. It had’nt.

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information