1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Ducati 848 - Uh Oh ..... (main Bearing)

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by benster789, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Unlucky, I really feel for you, I live in fear of something like this.

2. Thanks - it's such a shame as I am a relatively "newer/younger" buyer into the Ducati brand and this sort of stuff puts you right off. There's plenty of other bikes that are easier to live with. Some would argue not as pretty but if you're not looking after your buyers, that's not a good thing for the future.

Vent over [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I don't know the history of the bike. But assuming all is in order, 5K miles before an engine failure is shocking these days.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I had (an old, shitty) rod let go on a rebuilt motor after an hour. That wasn't the best start to the day...

Four, brand new valves, one head, one barrel and piston, new cases, new rods.

• Like Like x 1
  5. For anyone interested in some pictures now that the bike is back with new bearings and rebuilt engine! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. After only 5k miles. Shocker!

(my snapped crank beats your bearing failure though:tearsofjoy:)

• WTF WTF x 1
  7. Indeed - the silver lining is the bike feels brand new. A lot less jerky than it was before (specially at low speeds) and smoother. Just need to run it in a bit gently....grrrr [emoji2]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Impressive. Do you have a picture? :Wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
  9. If I understand correctly; this bike has had engine failure after 5000 miles. And that's acceptable to Ducati UK?

I'd be going nuts, then carefully preparing the small claims paperwork.

10. Someone suggested 'No More Nails' but I went with a new bike instead

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Anyway, glad you got your bike sorted. My old 848 will always have a special little place in my heart as it was the bike I always wanted from the moment I saw it. The feeling riding it away from the dealers was fantastic!

12. On what legal basis?

13. You're a legend. :) Garage art and a great talking point if ever there was one. :Woot: Although an expensive one. :(

14. Do you own the bike or is it on finance? Pay with a credit card?

If so, you have a legal way to go about it. I did and got sorted out.

15. Bought it outright - 1 previous owner too. Bank transfer. Not sure its previous dealers fault though? (Independent)

16. The bearings seem to be developing a reputation for early failure. Between some years. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do having paid outright.

Ducati and my dealer were awful with mine. Basically zero interest.

17. Same here. Duc UK not interested at all.

Hey ho - they've lost a future customer.

Shame, duc's have always been a childhood dream bike. Still remember seeing my first ever Ducati in a showroom years ago in South America. That's where the obsession started....!

What next - hmmm......

18. My 999s did its main bearings. Worked out a whole lot cheaper to buy a new engine. Why not stick a 10/1198 engine in it.

19. I've gone KTM. Twin fun, without the Italian temperament!

20. There wasn't an engine at time of looking that had any less than 10k miles on it - approx 1,600 too. + labour.....would rather have my redone.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information