1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Ducati 848 - Uh Oh ..... (main Bearing)

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by benster789, Jul 26, 2016.

1. so cheap bearings by look of things then?
    Since when has France produced high quality bearings that are needed in a performance engine?

2. About the same time as Italy have [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. how did I miss this thread? - met Ben at Box a couple of times, looks like he's left the brand now..

4. What an interesting, if unhappy, thread. While reading it my mind wondered around the subject of design as I have read quite a few stories of bearing / crank failures of Ducatis and was a big cause of anxiety when buying mine. Fortunately my need to own one won the day.

Any road up main bearings. I always think roller bearings should be better than ball bearings and when my 72 Commando, producing about 60 bhp had rollers why they are still fitting ball bearings to much more powerful motors is beyond me.

Then when I developed that thought further when a motor is pushing out close to 200 bhp, with such a long crank with big pistols on it would it have been better still to split the cases horizontally and fit 3 sets of shell bearings.

I think lock down is giving me too much time.

TB

5. I would have said that angular contact ball bearings were used to take up the side thrust from the helical primary drive gears.
    I guess the newer engines use straight cut gears and take up any end thrust with plain thrust bearings in the cases

#45 ducv2, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. That's an old thread, in days when places were open!!:cool:

7. Why? It’s not unheard of. It depends how it’s been used. Do the 848’s have shite conrods?
    I got my 1098R back yesterday after a rebuild. Chatting to the engine builder he said these kind of engines are hyper sensitive to throttle blipping when cold. Never blip below 60 deg C.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. Interesting to read ..... but did he say why ?
    Why those engines in particular ? I wonder what Ducati have done differently ?

I don't have one , but the 1098R is the Ducati I'd most like to own
    and constantly reading of these problems makes me wary

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sensitive to thermal expansion. Big auld pistons slapping up and down. He did mention that the crank float was critical too.
    I’ve finally concluded that OE 1098R pistons are shite. I’ve had 3 crack now. Lucky it hasn’t led to a smashed engine.
    Don’t let this put you off a 1098R. Magnificent machines and if you look after them you’ll get loads of pleasure :):upyeah:

10. The 848 Bearing issues seems to be well documented across forums, with a number of bikes having new engines at 1-2k miles. Something to do with some having more end float on the crank destroying the mains.

Shocking really, but more shocking that Ducati haven't actually acknowledged it. I loved both my 848's, no issues with the engines (for balance).

In honesty... If you look at the Panigale series, and I might get flamed for this, the technological step is SO big in terms of engine design that I really think it's worth getting into a 899/959 just for the engine reliability alone. They aren't without their issues, I had a water pump failure, which wasn't ideal but it isn't a core fundamental part of the engine and the repair cost reflected that, funnily enough Ducati warrantied it even out of warranty because it happened within a few weeks.

For anyone who's going to ask me why, shell bearings, cam chain, stronger gearboxes actually designed for quickshifters etc. The bigger issue and one that I sympathize with is that the newer stuff perhaps isn't as visceral

11. This thread is shocking but when something like an engine fails out of warranty I actually understand a brands reluctance to repair foc the warranty period 3yrs is pretty substantial for a sports motorcycle engine
    Ok the mileage is recorded as low but unfortunately it’s pretty easy to get mileage alterations I promise you I can go now and get 30,000 off my van for £200 if I so wished indeed I know someone who has locally, it’s the period before the first mot where liberties can and are taken.

And no I have no interest in clocking but I’m aware that my van could have been clocked as could any motor.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information