1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 900sl Fuel Cap Flange Tank Seal Refitment

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by KG900SL, Apr 15, 2015.

1. FARK!!! No luck with this shitty install so far.

Fitted the green oring onto tank adapter flange, tried inserting into tank recess, wont even go a tiny bit, to leave just enough space for the pesky black trim seal WTF???:mad::mad::mad:

2. An extra pair of hands sorted out this pesky install!!!

Pushing the cap assembly into the tank recess just enough to slide the flange seal around seemed to work best. Stretching and simultaneously feeding into the small gap.

Thanks all, appreciate the info and tips:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yes, they are a pig to fit by yourself! I ended up using a mallet propped under my chin to apply force down onto the outer, leaving two hands free to work the seal into place and finally put the grub screws in.

Your tank looks excellent!

4. Thanks for the compliment:upyeah:

5. Lovely job on the paint KG900SL, if you don't mind me asking, who did it and how much Mr?

6. Thanks for the compliment!

Paintwork looks completely original with all OEM decals. Frame and all ancillary bits cost around ZAR 15000.00/GBP 1350.00

Custom paint shop called Caleidescope, does real nice work, but expensive.

Regards
    Kurt

7. Holy thread resurrection, Batman..!

My turn to go through this now. I get the "cap in first, then seal pushed in from the top" theory - we'll see the practise in a bit. But just so I'm clear, the grub screws just protrude into the recessed bit of the tank rim, right?

MICK..

8. When fitting the flange, ensure that the grub screws are pre- installed, but they need to be slightly recessed from the outside of the flange, otherwise they interfere when the flange gets pushed into the tank. When the flange is fitted with the rubber seal then you can tighten all the grub screws up...

Good Luck:upyeah:

9. Come on, ya pansy! :upyeah:

DSC_0497_zpsffb02acm.JPG

MICK..

10. On the subject of tank filler o-rings and whatnot, I sourced a replacement for the large green Oring for less than a tenner, (https://plebeo.com/product-category/ducati/) but I'd like to replace the o-ring seal on the lockable filler cap, (shown by red arrow in attached pic). I was told it's not available as a separate item but only with the complete filler assembly at Christ knows what price .... has anyone found an alternative for this seal/ORing??

Ducati 3.jpg

11. Hasn't anyone tried to find a replacement seal for this to avoid having to buy the whole filler assembly? Cheers

12. Having remove all the screws including grub screws I could not shift the fuel filler to remove it. In the end I resorted to two of the arms from my hub/gear puller bolted back to back and before finally tightening the bolts I could just wiggle them through the opening. Once in, lent to one side so that the hook caught under the opening lip and the other side rested against the bore of the filler I gave it some percussive persuasion. And even then it didn’t move initially.

Replacement is indeed a fiddly operation. Plenty of grease to fit the black gasket to the filler and I held it in place with both thumbs on the top of the filler and all fingers spread around under the lip holding it in place and gently offer it into the opening. I found it best to sit on the bike because as well as making sure the black gasket doesn’t move you have to line the unit up so that the filler cap will point in the right direction. It will only go into the opening a short way because the green O ring then needs to locate in its groove in the tank opening. By this time I was truly racked off so having got it this far I resort to percussive persuasion again and gave it a good whack with the rubber mallet and all good much to my surprise.

whilst grovelling around inside the tank I carefully removed the low fuel indicator because it had been giving erroneous indications recently. I suspected that it was some sort of float sliding up and down with the fuel level and that grit had got in there. Sure enough you can prise the top of the assembly off with your thumb nail to reveal a cylindrical float sliding on a central rod. I was surprised that it only traveled about 17mm, is that right?

Anyway, got that re-installed and filler in place when I looked down and on the floor was the cap to the fuel level indicator. Yep, fuel filler cap removed and replaced once again. Not a happy boy. As they say practice make perfect:tired_face:.

CCA68DD9-562D-49FA-8827-72672BF14FE5.jpeg

DA864908-9B6A-4546-BD9C-EF60D9979F5B.jpeg

Finally, finally the Worksop manual tells you once the filler has been removed to unscrew the hose clip (item 6 in the diagram below) securing the rubber hose coming out of the filter to the steel fuel pipe fixed to the bottom of the tank. When I looked at mine the clip was one of those clips that crimps onto the hose not a screw in sight. With care you can prise these apart with a small flat blade screwdriver and re-use. When I eventually got the pump and filter out I did indeed have a screw hose clamp but they had put it on the hose that connects to the pump. Again, not a happy bunny.

701CD18B-8A97-4D94-87B1-6DDD64EEDFD7.png

Apologies for banging on a bit but someone might find this useful.

#32 Billywiztheelder, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  13. Thanks, it's on my list of things that will need to be done one day.

14. I hate putting that on, what a pain. My only advice would have been “have patience “ ! It takes a lot of working to get it seated correctly

Do Not Sell My Personal Information