1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 916 winter spruce up.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Haydn, Feb 2, 2014.

1. great job :upyeah:

2. Hi, yes I transferred the lock over, just take pictures as you strip it down, it's really simple. I paid about £35 for it but it took me a while to find a good one. I have another freshly sandblasted if you want it. It needs a coat of something like acid 8 etch primer before paint. Hamerite smooth gold is apparently a perfect match and the you will need aluminium silver for the outer ring. Let me know if interested.

[​IMG]

3. Bike is looking very nice!!

I like the idea of the frame plugs, where did you get them from?

4. Nice looking bike Haydn, brings back memories of doing mine some years back. I was quite lucky in so far as apart from replating the back axle, painting the l/h engine cover and repairing the l/h lower fairing panel I just had to clean and polish everything to bring it back to almost as new condition. Really satisfying work and I got a great buzz out of the finished bike. Couple of pics in my album of what I did to get it looking good again.

5. Thanks for the tip about the smooth Hamerite and the offer of the fuel cap. I will have a go at refurb ing mine as it is one of the earlier ones with the Cagiva logo which I quite like.

you gave inspired me to do a few jobs on my bike before the spring

6. Looks great,love the early 916's with the characterful 1990s graphics.

7. Well it's almost winter so the duke is stripped down again. I painted the swingarm today and pretty chuffed with how it turned out. 2 coats of etch primer, 2 coats of base and 2 coats of Matte lacquer. The paint is from Bike Colours and is a really good match to the original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Have you tried their engine paint? I have some sat on my shelf and havent tried it for colour yet.

Saying that, my bike is in for a service and Ive had the rocker covers and head side covers powdercoated to the closest ive ever seen to OEM colour.

Thought I would mention it in case anyone is interested in colour matching.

9. Thanks or that I'll keep it in mind. I've always used hammerite silver for the engine casings but only a touch up here and there.

10. Nice project! Wish I had the space to do the same. I'd jump at the opportunity to do what you're doing. :upyeah:

Reading the rest of the thread, I see you got your bike from Charlie's. I got mine just across the road from them but was very tempted by their yellow 996 they had in. Was going cheap enough and would have gone for it if I had had the space.

Ian

11. Well not too much to update on apart from slowly building the swingarm back up with new or cleaned parts. My biggest dillema now is whether to have the whole bike red as is it should be or a bit of a SP look alike with a carbon mudguard, solid red nosecone and the SP tail with numberboards. Decisions decisions....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Is that a Corse lower shock bolt?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ooh,hope so.If it is ,Ive got some in me toolbox.:upyeah:

14. Haha of corse it is

15. Stunning job , love it , it's something I'd like to do next year

16. Been a long winter...;)

17. Hmm yeah, sitting on the bikes at the bikeshow got me wanting to go out already. Doh

18. Looks Fantastic with a clean original finish:upyeah:

19. I've been doing a bit more on the 916. All the bits came back from the platers so started to build the back end up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where can I get 916 bleed nipples from? I bought some M8 Nips from the bike show thinking they would fit but i don't think they will seal. The chamfer is too steep.

[​IMG]

#39 Haydn, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
Do Not Sell My Personal Information