1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Ducati Ecus

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Dave998748, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Hi All
    Have any of you on here got a early Ducati superbike with the desmoquattro engine fitted which normally runs the 16M ecu and has been converted to running the later 5AM ecu?

Dave

2. Hi, I kept mine standard with the 16m. Have you issues with converting?

3. I've bought a 996 which has been fitted with the 5M ecu it starts and runs but has never been on the dyno to set up fueling. my concern is the ignition maps because of the 5m ecu normally fitted to the later Tesasttreta engines and their a shorter stroke.
    I'm thinking the best way is to just refit it with the 16M.

4. Anything more to add to that fella? just Doh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If you are going to change anything with whatever work it takes to change it little or small then it needs to be set up appropriately to get the best out of it.
    Even the pre loaded maps and up maps are only a generic near as dammit guesstimate.

Secondly what exactly is the combination you have what engine 996? what was done to the loom and who did it, is it a 998 loom? and which ecu with what map, is it std or has it been modified?

if the engine is a std engine then you could achieve a good running bike with std 1.6 set up,( why was it changed?not that it matters ) if you want to see it through with the later ecu then get it on a dyno for fuel and ignition. BSD at Peterborough would be a good bet.

#6 andyb, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Incidentally if you do have the rear section of a 998 loom and you went back to a std 996 loom and ecu, you would get really good money for the 998 section as they are quite rare. :upyeah:

7. Yes I agree with all you say,was just hoping someone may have a old bike running a new ecu.
    The bike was built by my friend at the same time I was putting a 1098 engine in my 998, I tried to persuade him to keep things simple but it seemed if it could be changed it would be.

This is what I'm working with.
    996 frame.
    955 Race engine.
    749RS injectors.
    996R 5AM ecu.
    Professional built wiring loom.
    Dynojet power commander.

I use FW Developments for my dyno work and speaking to them the ignition maps won't be hugely different.
    1st step is to match the TPS with the ecu then dyno.

8. @2moto to the "making mismatched stuff fit to a professional level" phone.. :)

9. the global inputs probably won't be that different, but more to do with the sensors which are attached, their voltages and how they read their signals.

My first port of call would be look at parts schematics, all those sensors which bolt to the engine and cross reference them between desmoquattro that you have and the testastretta.
    Your fuelling setup will probably be ok enough to get it to fire up but it will need setting up for sure.
    Chris at CJS will be able to set that up on the dyno and program the revised map for you to that 5AM.

As Andy says, those pre-installed maps on performance chips etc are only as near as dammit approximations, the best of the bunch were FIM ultimap but more often than not all they did was dump more fuel.
    Yours WILL need setting up as it's a very unique engine, totally different from the run of the mill stuff.

make a list of all those things that plug into it, and alongside list the equivalent for the 955 engine.
    See what's missing, see what's the same, and see what differs in spec. That'll give you a good starting point to see what needs fiddling with where.

Look at what the sensor reads and from where, some things such as certain switches might introduce an extra wire, but when you look at the harness diagram you find its just an extra earth or something like that.

You may actually find the change content might not be that bad.

10. More good points to consider, It's booked in to have the TPS reset, which after a bit of homework the TPS in the 749 RS throttle bodies is the same as the road going 749 which uses the ecu which I have fitted so fingers crossed on this first step.
    As far as I can see the only things which are attached to the engine to take readings are the crank sensor and water temp for ecu, which according to the wiring diagram which has come with it's custom loom all go to the correct pins on the ecu.
    But yes would be a idea to make sure of their signals etc.

11. In what way are 749RS throttle bodies different to std ones?

12. RS has larger bore, and the injector holders are part of an aluminium trumpet which then bolts to the throttle body.

Google Ducati 749RS injectors-images

The road version, smaller bore and plastic trumpets with the injectors mounted in the air box lid.

13. The throttle bodies are the same size. The kit trumpets are aluminium but are shorter then std 749/999 plastic items. Both hold the injectors in the trumpets, not the lid.

I had a 749R kit bike 20130603_164620.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. I did this but it comes back as showing that @andyb says it doesn't exist...

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. "The throttle bodies are the same size"

I stand corrected.

16. The ally trumpets are posh to look at when the 996 tank is removed. But can loose power if not used with a high revving engine. Due to being shorter than the plastic ones. I guess the 955 will rev high.

Some have bored out the 999 throttle bodies to open them out.

17. The head pn the desmoquattro’s wasn’t as sophisticated as the Testastretta engines, would a shower injector be of benefit?
    Brad black thought the results were negligible at best.

18. The 748R had the shower set up.

19. Did it do much if note, or was it there to allow the homologation of the system for the supersport race series bike?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information