1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Help With Numbers -owners Only

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Lucky Pete, Mar 23, 2019.

1. When try to ascertain if a bike was a genuine SPS I wrote to Ducati and this is the response I got. :(

Screenshot (156).png

2. Yeah, GDPR or something. @nelly can decode.

3. Unfortunately it’s gdpr kicking in.

4. Yes, most annoying :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Not the result you wanted but you can certainly understand their stance

6. Not really. He's not asking for the registers owners name, address, bank account, first school, first pet, mums maiden name and first car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. He's asking for information on a bike that isn't his, that could be the first stumbling block

8. I just asked if they could confirm a VIN I gave them was a SPS. Unsure how that could be a risk for anyone including the current owner but also understand they have policies in place probably with a view of protecting owners and that being the case they could not help me. Its no biggie, just wanted to let other members know as contacting Ducati is often cited for VIN deciphering but it appears its for owners only.

9. I agree with you, it would be nice if they could help but as others have mentioned, the gdpr kicking in rather limits their options.

At least it's clarified if it's your bike, they are often helpful, if it's not your bike then their hands are rather tied.

10. Could you ask the owners, who want to sell it to you, to furnish you with the requisite information obtained in the same way from Ducati? Unwillingness to do so would be a sign of something amiss.

11. Most would have done so already, especially if selling.

12. They have only recently changed their policy - I was refused a signed letter for the dating of a bike I owned after submitting proof of ownership. proof of address, proof of import and passport to Ducati UK. They would only give me an unsigned letter which the DVLA refused due to lack of signature. I needed it to register the bike! GDPR was cited for the reason of no signature! I had to be escalated to Tim - Ducati UK MD before I got a signed letter. They seem to have taken it too far! I really hope they have changed tact for all trying to register imported bikes now!

13. Any ideas if the 'S' in this VIN denotes its a 916S?Or just Sportsbike?

ZDM916S0059##

That would be awesome but I'm looking to buy straight out of a dealer auction so not possible. :(

#13 Lucky Pete, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  14. I have a genuine 916 SPS I bought it new so have all the correct paperwork etc .
    If I can help let me know

15. Thanks! Much appreciated. If I get another chance to buy one I will reach out. Thanks again.

16. Probably be selling mine in June

17. Cheers but Im in Japan :) Good luck with the sale if you choose to proceed with it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information