1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Ducati Multistrada 1260 V4 !! 190hp

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by victit, Jul 9, 2019.

1. I’d rather see Ducati concentrate on the 950. As it stands it looks so dated. The nose makes it look theee models old. It would be great to see some tech that actually works. I feel it has a long way to go to compete with the Africa twin

2. I suspect there will be a new bike based on the Scrambler 1100 engine at some point soon as per the concept bikes Ducati showed at EICMA last year.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well let’s just hope it doesn’t look anything like that!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. The only reason why the wheel could be more complicated to remove is because some idiot used an air gun with more than 40 kg of torque. That's user error, not a disadvantage of the SSSA. As for the chain tensioning it's far easier and you avoid alignment problems altogether. The hub that collects debris has nothing to do with the SSSA. It was bad design on the first models that was fixed with a cap (if I am not mistaken). So, it's a bit heavier. But I would never by a Multi without one. The effect on the looks is very prominent and I want to like the bike I'm riding. The latter of course is totally personal.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I would really like to upgrade to a V4 from my 2012, but I just really don't want all the electronics that people are talking about - cruise control and the likes not for me...…. but then what else is there as a real contender? It irks me that KTM don't offer a top box as standard on the Superduke GT...

6. I agree the look of the single sided swing arm is brilliant.

However, the good looks do come at a cost. On my 14 twin spark the pillion footrest hanger and silencer has to come off to get the wheel off. That big nut needs a big lever to undo it (lets imagine your on tour with no air gun) my breaker bar isnt quite up to it, i use my torque wrench which is a bit longer, something else not tour friendly. It's best to take the mahooosive wheell socket on tour with 1/2 inch adaptor cos sods law says if you need a garage there won't be a Ducati garage around with a 55 mm socket. And of course the weight.

Fortunately, my trips to Italy and Portugal have been incident free but I do get a bit anxious in case that back wheel needs some attention while overseas.

TB

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. With the potential demise of the Multistrada Enduro with the launch of the V4, it would certainly fill a gap. Andy

8. I can see a lot of streamlining of the ranges available over the coming few years with the ecomonic problems this year will cause.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Or more modular...same chassis different engine choices...kinda more like cars\trucks.

10. Cruise is great on super long journeys - French motorways spring to mind... Just 30 seconds of it to take your right hand off is worth it being on a touring bike

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. I have had my Multi from new in 2012, and of the 25000 miles she’s done only about 300 are on motorways (if that). I plan every trip to avoid them, I hate them on the bike. I love CC in the car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sometimes a necessary evil, but I agree on the principle! I bought the Multi for those kinda rides, though, where the destination is as much the point as the journey. I wish I had the time to only take fun roads :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. My two cents on a V4 Multi is...bring it on. A smooth V4 with a lower peak but higher curves in power and torque through midrange than the Pani will hopefully just make a better overall machine for the Multi, especially as a road bike. Also isn't the V4 block lighter than the twin by a couple of kilos? Italian witchcraft for sure but there ya go. And there'll still be a 'V2' twin 950. It's a great move. Anyone who says you don't need more power than 160bhp is just thinking about peak power - higher power/torque overall just means it'll be better two-up, with luggage, going up steep inclines etc. If you don't want to go too fast, don't twist the grip so far!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Problem with more or too much power is that if it’s there then you want to use it now and again. With the advance of all electronics/GPS etc, the chances of being caught using it over and above the limit are increasing exponentially.
    Don’t ask me how I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I would have thought the chances of it having more bottom end and mid range torque than the current 1260 would be extremely remote, I have no doubt it will have more horsepower up high

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. The V4 Multi is going to be marketed and sold like a German car.

17. Yes maybe - but what I meant was in comparison with the V4 Panigale. With the V4 config in a Multi chassis, I imagine the Ducati engineers will work some wonders. Basically the smaller pistons and higher number of power strokes per crank rotation means it will likely be smoother than the twin, with potential for higher compression due to smaller cylinders meaning more power. But a large capacity engine like this is unlikely to be left wanting for torque. I would probably imagine the aim is somewhere between the 1200DVT and the 1260DVT in terms of characteristics, but with a higher peak (than the 1260 multi, not the V4 Pani).

18. There is no reason to remove the footrest hanger, just the silencer, same as all the other Multistradas since 2010.

Regarding the V4 (when it finally arrives), we shall see.
    I would quite like one, but in reality I'm more likely to mop up a bargain priced pre-reg'd 1260 :yum

19. At the risk of dropping a fly in your soup, the current 1260 V2 engine already produces more torque than the 214 HP Panigale V4 engine.
    Multistrada 1260: 129.5 Nm (95.5 lb-ft)
    Panigale V4S: 124.0 Nm (91.5 lb-ft)

In fact, the Multi's 1260 V2 produces as much torque slightly above idle than the Panigale V4 does at 6000 RPM.
    Moreover, the Pani's V4 engine only produces more HP than the V2 above 9000 rpm.
    Screenshot from 2020-06-23 23:10:38.png B6JS374BKUCVLU6OEMM5NZK4ZQ.jpg

To put this another way, using the rule of thumb (sweet spot) of riding at 1/2 of redline, the V2 still makes more pulling power than the V4. Although I really like the idea of a V4 on a Panigale, I personally, am now questioning the value proposition of a V4 on a Multistrada.
    "The latest is not always the greatest"

#279 DarR, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. You need to compare to V4 Streetfighter.

Best i could find.

[​IMG]

Rear wheel numbers, different machine, rider, day, etc, etc but you can see the torque comes in earlier.

The fact of the matter is if it red lines at 14 instead of 10...9 will become the new 6 ;)

Some other numbers....

[​IMG]

#280 mwhite5471, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
Do Not Sell My Personal Information