1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Ducati Multistrada 1260 V4 !! 190hp

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by victit, Jul 9, 2019.

1. According to the release day information/video on the Street Fighter, Ducati pointed out that it does produce more "rear wheel" torque than the V4S (I think they gave a third gear example) but the percentage increase was roughly equivalent to the final drive gearing change that they had made to the SF
    I think we have to be very careful when comparing torque graphs of Street Fighter versus V4S and assuming the engine is producing more torque I believe the difference will probably be fairly small

I do entirely agree about the comment that an engine that's designed to run to 10,000 rpm can never have the same gearing as one designed to run to 14,000 rpm. But this in itself becomes a problem with the multistrada version of the V4, as the multi is designed to do some long distance/touring duties (just the opposite of a sports bike) you cant have an engine buzzing away for long periods of time at say 6000 rpm where the multi would be ticking over at 4000 rpm for a number of reasons, they will have to gear the V4 multi up compared to the current V4S to a compromise between the two and this gearing change will only reduce its in gear torque compared to what it already is (similar to how the SF version went up)

Long story short I think it's going to be very difficult to turn a 14/15,000 rpm sports bike motor into something that is capable of doing touring duties as well. I personally hope that they stroke it out to a 1200 and put completely different heads/cams on it, more suitable for torque delivery than high rpm horsepower and turn it into a 12,000 rpm 190 hp sports touring weapon
    Or they just keep the 1260 going and sell the V4 multi along side it (new pikes peak)

#281 dddd, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Very interesting first chart but the V2 still has more usable power where we need it on the street.
    It's going to be difficult to replace that Oomph of the V2 without major modifications as @dddd mentioned.
    Notwithstanding, thanks for sharing as I like looking at these.

As for the second chart from Brock Davidson whose work I'm very familiar with. It's from a Kawasaki.
    Brock does not work on Ducati bikes unfortunately. I've had many discussions to that effect with Steve Syx, their sales manager.

#282 DarR, Jun 25, 2020
  3. We will have to see which way they take it.

The second chart was to put things into perspective of other rip your arms off\put the fear of god in ya bikes :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Yeah I see what you're saying, but think something is getting lost in translation... Panigale is just geared and engineered for peak performance primarily on track (or fast roads), so loads of everything at the top of the rev range (i.e. higher peak power). It was the same when it was a V2 as well!

A V4 in a Multistrada will just be developed to a different requirement (ie higher peak torque), much as the current one - but with smoother delivery and probably bigger numbers then the current 1260 V2. It's bloody rapid already though, so improving performance is subjective depending on what your interest is as the rider, or the goals are as the manufacturer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FYI found these hiding in my dropbox from when i was looking to buy..

MTS1260 Torque.jpg

power-curve.jpg

torque-curve.jpg

6. honda changed the 1200 vfr to 1200 crosstourer.
    so,if you have a lot of power you can manage it however you want.the problem is when you dont have power to "play" with.its not that simple but its not that hard either.heavier crank,different valve configuration,new ecu flash and a lot of testing you can make it as you wish.
    cut 3-4k revs and 20 hp and "throw" them in the mid range and there you have it.

ducati nowdays have the experience and the knowledge to make things right.
    and they have all the support they need from audi,so i dont believe that the most important bike of all(economically speaking) will be worst from the previous generation.
    germans wouldnt allow that.

#286 peterTHErider, Jun 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. From Bike Magazine
    multi2.jpg multi3.jpg
    Spy shots of the new Multistrada show it not only
    has the mighty V4 engine, but features selfadjusting
    radar cruise control too. One
    of the photographs – taken outside the Bologna
    factory just before the Italian lock-down –
    shows a box between the headlights that
    appears to be the radar unit needed for
    adaptive cruise control.
    Ducati have been talking about this
    Advanced Rider Assistance System setup
    (ARAS) since 2018, and until recently
    the company stated it was going to
    debut in 2020 (they still do on their
    website). The system would adjust the
    bike’s speed to keep a constant distance
    from the car in front, and use haptic
    feedback (vibrations through the bar and
    saddle) to warn the rider of cars in blindspots
    and any impending collisions. However, it’s
    thought Bosch, who make the ARAS, discovered a
    problem which has set them back a year.
    The new engine looks like the 1103cc 208bhp V4 powering
    the Streetfighter. It’s likely to be detuned somewhat for
    the Multistrada, but even then it’ll probably still
    make 180bhp, which should suffice for most
    touring tasks. It’ll certainly make the GS feel
    a bit ponderous, which of course it isn’t.
    Ducati might even bore it out to 1200 and
    massage the torque curve to give a more
    accessible midrange.
    The chassis is all new too. The steel
    trellis frame is replaced by a cast one,
    and the subframe is now trellis rather
    than cast. The swingarm is a new double
    sided job instead of the current bike’s
    single-sider. Why? Probably because
    the new Euro5 catalytic converter and
    electronic suspension took up space.
    We reckon the new V4 will sit above the
    current 1260 and 950 Multistradas and be priced
    accordingly – you’ll probably need £20k just for the
    base V4, with the S a few grand above that.
    RH.

8. Am I alone in wondering why a bike needs adaptive cruise control? At what bike show are they asking people what they want to see on a bike and everyone saying “ooh I’d like adaptive cruise control”

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Haptic feedback on a Ducati? So they are spending millions on the engine to lose vibration only to put it back electronically

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. I would stab a guess at this being driven by the US market.

I have adaptive cruise control on my VW, it works well on Britain's crowded roads. However, on a bike I think it's far less relevant. I've used the regular cruise control on my 1260 Mutley a handful of times in the 10,000 miles so far, mostly out if curiosity rather than need though. Useful maybe on long autoroute journeys on the continent, though I prefer to stick to lesser roads where practical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. From what i have heard there will be a basic spec Multi V4 and you then spec it to what you want with various packs - sports, touring etc.

Not sure there will be a base, S etc as previous versions.

The adaptive cruise control is being driven by safety aspects.

12. By that I assume you mean that it's safer to have adaptive cruise control rather than regular cruise control. As opposed to not having cruise control at all?

To me it sounds like a case of making the bike even more complicated/expensive to solve a problem that, for the majority of riders, isn't really there in the first place as they don't use the current iteration anyway.

Possibly just a willy waving thing for Ducati to have more/different tech ahead of other manufacturers?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. I have this on my car, it works brilliantly and I love it. I'd certainly welcome it on a new bike.
    Is it essential? No, but on long motorway trips in changing traffic conditions it would be helpful.

It also forms a big part of the collision avoidance and blind spot option, which I'm guessing would also be part of the set up

14. The AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) function on my Tiguan is too sensitive, give it a windy bocage type lane (narrow with high banks) and it flings the brakes on regularly without any real need. Certainly wouldn't welcome that on a bike.

15. I think the word we are looking for here is 'Overkill' .....

• Like Like x 1
  16. I don’t deny the tech is impressive and I use my CC all the time in the car - but I didn’t buy a bike to sit on fekkin motorways. Though my decision won’t affect Ducati, if they don’t often a basic bike, I won’t be getting one! All I want is ABS, adaptive suspension & luggage & heated grips, maybe a few sockets to plug kit in - but I’m not averse to connecting my own stuff in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. If its an option, its not something I would specify, unless whatever 'pack' it came in had other stuff I wanted.

My car and van both have adaptive cruise, and I find it frustrating. On light traffic motorways and A roads its fine. Get a busy motorway though, and cars pulling out/in in front of you cause the brakes to be applied. This is usually just as I'm about to pull out into the next lane.
    I hate to think what this would be like when riding in a group...

Skip the A-C-C and give me heated seats and central locking panniers instead :blush:
    Or better still, spend some time in a wind tunnel and reduce the feckin turbulence noise before I go totally deaf :yum

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Sorry John what was that!!! I didn't quite hear you!:p

• Like Like x 1
  19. I SAID ...
    ;):p

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Isn’t adaptive cruise control just a way to sneak under some emissions test criteria

Do Not Sell My Personal Information