1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Ducati Multistrada 1260 V4 !! 190hp

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by victit, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Why the obsession with 19” front wheels and double sided swinging arms? Would these features really stop someone buying a bike they wanted?

I’m guessing that Ducati spent a huge amount of time and money in development to make the best choices for this bike, and you have to think they might know what they are doing (apart from the seat of course)?

I’d rather just try test riding one before writing it off...

2. because 19” front wheels limit tyre choice. These bikes 99 out of a hundred are used only on tarmac, 19” fronts are just not needed.
    Also, single sided swingarms are also a bit silly on a tourer. Having required a new rear a when I had my 1290 gt, just to find the tyre fitter did not have the right size socket. Adjustment a bit of a pain on the multi. Traditional swingarm is just easier.

3. There's the 'Brand Image' to consider, you may laugh at that, but the big wigs at Ducati will have a very clear perception of it.

Their premium models come with SSSA's and a road focussed bike would have a 17" front wheel. The absence of those two features would alienate a lot of the current ownership. Also, why move away from a winning formula?

I reckon the bike in the pictures is a white elephant, at least I hope it is....

4. I find adjusting the chain tension on a SSSA very simple. In fact easier than a double sided swingarm.
    If you're going to tour, wouldn’t you find it useful to pack a 55/30mm socket tool?
    55-30mm socket tool.jpeg.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Been there, done that. 2013 in Dolomites on a Multi.
    Packed adjusting spanner (someone on forum made an extended one, tool kit job is crap. ) Had a socket. Had a torque wrench. Had chain lube..all adds to the space taken up, which seemed to be more than with a traditional swinging arm, which just doesnt take long to adjust either.
    Cant see any advantages with the single sider, apart from looks, and fast rear wheel changes.
    IF you have all of the required tools. Seem to recollect needing a rather large torque wrench to remove a multi rear wheel nut.

6. IMHO, all you need to pack that's different with a SSSA from a DSSA is a socket tool.
    The spanner in the Ducati tool pouch kit will do the job in a pinch.
    As for the rest of the stuff, it applies to both SSSA and DSSA.
    Why would you carry a torque wrench?
    If you have to have a tyre changed, don't you think the shop would have one or at least a breaker bar?

#366 DarR, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I have been to a tyre fitter that did not have a socket to fit the wheel nut on a 1290 gt..

8. I also had to borrow a very large torque wrench to remove a Multistrada back wheel nut when fixing a puncture at home..

9. That's why you pack a socket tool.
    First you said that you packed a torque wrench for touring in 2013. Now you're saying you had to borrow one while at home.
    I'm really sorry man as I don't understand your logic.

10. Torque wrench for the pinch bolts. Wind your neck in.

11. The eccentric pinch bolts don't need to be touched to remove the wheel
    You said:
    Let me get this straight: you had a large torque wrench for touring in 2013 yet you borrow one for home use?
    Now you're saying you need that torque wrench for pinch bolts that only require torque of 35 Nm ± 5% which is way below the minimum range of a large torque wrench that's required to remove the 230 Nm wheel nut.
    Unbelievable!

#371 DarR, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  12. guys...is that a tyre changing subject?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Stay on topic...we only 10 or so weeks to go...roll on NOV :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. less...mid october probably...they have no bikes to sell now!!they will soon start 2021 production!

15. Just like to add that the display should be able to do a full red-background with white/black dial info. Instead of just the white/black inversion that they currently have with certain items in colour. They really could allow users with a little programming to personalise the dash display.

16. Good call.

Essential? Probably not, but a nice thing to have. The new GS has a good looking dash. The rest is dreadful, but the clocks are nice!

17. I’d like the option to personalise the dash and change the order of items you view often. My preference is for:
    A bigger clock
    Air temp
    Range
    Trip 1
    I don’t really care about fuel consumption etc

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tyre pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I misread that, be a nice option though.

• Funny Funny x 7
  20. My GPS gives me a speed. Waze on my phone concurs. While Ducati tells me I'm going Mach 3.
    An accurate speedometer would be nice if it's not too much to ask.

#380 DarR, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information