1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Ducati Multistrada 1260 V4 !! 190hp

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by victit, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Not a luddite, as I've had a bmw and triumph with electronic suspension, both were unreliable, so a 2010 and dvt with manual setup was the order of the day. A very good friend has a 2012 1200s with ohlins and has had some expense recently, needed a rebuild!

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  2. The Ducati electronic suspension has had almost zero problems reported on this forum. It's reliability is not an issue. Almost all suspension issues are with fork seals, bushing wear, and spring rates

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I had to have the whole suspension unit replaced on my DVT as the main wire got trapped and damaged, £1,800, luckily the warranty covered it (after some argument)

4. 2 suspension ecu and a rear shock due to control unit failure on my 2010, plus the hassle when they went of course.
    And the keyless packed in twice while away from home too.
    Mechanically it was sound all the way to 45k miles when I sold it.
    For a model that is designed for mile munching, often taking you a long way from home, these gadgets are solutions to non existent problems which
    can be more than just an irritation when they go tits up in the back of beyond. I would love a "build your spec" scheme where you could get the lighter wheels or carbon farkles of the S models, while deleting some of the expensive electronic tat in favour of manual ohlins kit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have a 1260PP, when it had its first service I was given a loan 1260S with 350 miles on the clock, I was blown away by the difference between the PP & the S model, the suspension on the PP is unbelievably good compared to the S.
    The cost difference between the two is high but well worth every penny

• Like Like x 1
  6. yes but i am thinking ohlins semi active suspension like the streetfighter s.i believe its a big upgrade from the sachs.the performance diference would be almost zero with all the positive(easy to adjust) characteristics of the semi active suspension.plus to make it FIXED suspension or make it semi active.and you can have a fixed suspension to adjust for every road with a push of a button.

7. I also have a Speciale with Ohlins electronic suspension which is very good but the Ohlins none electronic on the 1260PP is exceptional

• Like Like x 2
  8. Could you expand on this statement Navara01?

9. What I am basically saying is just because it’s electronic doesn’t make it better. My 1260PP is so good, I was surprised how much better it was than the 1260S I had the use of whilst my PP was being serviced... It was in another league.

• Like Like x 1
  10. But does it automatically adjust for luggage and pillion... hmmm I don’t think so. I’m not doubting that an Ohlins PP can be set up perfectly but it’s the on the fly adjustment from touring to sport and loading that appeals to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. exactly,when i go for a ride i might ride on different roads and in different ways.we start in the city and you need soft settings,then on the highway something medium and then at the good back roads sport suspension needed.and in the end of that road we could get in a track to have fun.and on the way back maybe pick up a friend to his home.
    there is nomething better than semi active suspension in real life and the ride quality you can have all day long.

12. I agree I love the suspension on my 1260PP, it’s set up perfect for me and handles superb, sporty and sharp but still compliant and comfortable enough for a longer time in the saddle, it’s quite unbelievable how good it is really.
    However Twin4me is also correct I had a fully electronic multi 1200 previously, and loved the quick on the fly adjustments for luggage and pillion, but as I don’t take the Mrs as pillion as much these days I’m happy to vote for a properly set up Pikes Peak in my case, but if I did I would more than likely go back to fully electronic adjustable suspension.
    So in conclusion they both have there merits, as they say horses for courses..

• Like Like x 1
  13. 078369A1-C6A3-4E5A-BFDB-D1385FA91B96.jpeg
    Two weeks ago myself and my wife went to sunny Wales for a week with fully loaded panniers and top box. I must admit I was apprehensive before our trip thinking the weight difference may be a problem but I was extremely surprised how good it was even to the point I was starting to get e excited on the twisties forgetting I was fully loaded, we had everything but the kitchen sink. It felt very very good and as a reference we have done a 3000+ mile European tour for the last 9 years.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Ohlins always was the dogs danglies. The 2010-12 S with adjustable ohlins is the same. The only difference is when you change a mode and it changes the settings electronically using stepper motors. Internally everything works the same.
    Aside form some fork seals and rear preload adjuster seals, mine has been great for 10 years.

Sachs skyhook gen 1 was noticeably worse than the ohlins setup (less compliant, harder ride). That is why some (including me) chose not to 'upgrade' to that bike at the time. The gen 2 skyhook on the dvt was/is a lot better, but still not as good as the ohlins.
    That is after all why they slapped ohlins on the PP.

Given the choice I would have adjustable ohlins. If its adjustable sachs or manual ohlins, for what I want on a bike used for two up sports touring, mixed with solo scratching (ish) on the days the wife is having a rest, adjustability wins.
    It would be great if we could choose (sachs manual, ohlins manual, skyhook, ohlins semi/fully auto) but I don't see that happening. We get 3 out of the 4 so its not all bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Here we go.

16. It does not work for me

anyone get link to work?

17. Not a lot we don't already know...

18. Youtube video showing still shots.:zzz:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Got to be some good deals on the outgoing twin. Cant help but think the V4 configuration will only add cost, at purchase point and servicing.

20. Works ok for me

Do Not Sell My Personal Information