1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Ducati Scrambler Review

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by burndownthediscos, Oct 1, 2015.

1. So the Ducati Scrambler.

I've had it over the same roads i took the 1299 and words don't quite capture the entire experience. Along the lines of my 1299 review and bikes giving me an emotional response and filling my noodle with music you might want to listen to the song whilst you read.

Riding the Scrambler is exactly like this. It's easy to ride, tonnes of fun, girls will love it, guys will love it too, girls will love you, guys will love you too, you will dance near it, make love near it, get a tattoo on it.

There is something about riding sportsbikes and tourers that can, in my opinion, detract from the very base level of riding a bike. It's fun, lots of fun. But sometimes you can get wrapped up in performance issues, suspension tweeks, pressing the right button on your sat nav, screen height etc.

I owned a Thruxton for 3 years and even in it's simplicity it became about trying to lose a bit of weight from it, give it more punch etc. Until i finally went and got a Daytona.

So when i was given the Scrambler i wasn't overjoyed to be honest. In my head it was for trendy, hipsters just like in the marketing. The kind of pratt that spoils a house party by taking out a guitar and singing songs instead of laying down some living room moves to Van Halen.

I was wrong. So very, very wrong!

There are now two people who ride Scramblers in my head. Trendy hipster bell ends and people like Brad The Bullet and Julien Perret. People who get on a bike they can easily handle and exploit that for fun. Wheelies, skids, jumps that kind of thing.

So lets deal with the bad

1) On the Icon i rode the bars are too high. Too chopper like for me. On the Scrambler Full Throttle though the bars are perfect. Sit astride it and you feel instantly like you can hustle.

2) It's not a sports bike - They weren't designed to be, they never will be. Overcome that in your head and you will love it.

3) Tyres - They are actually brilliant in the damp and wet. They don't give much feedback in the dry. It's up to scraping the exhaust shield to get your early warnings. Then the pegs. I'd put some Pirelli Supercorsas and piss myself with laughter on every ride.

The Good Stuff

I hadn't had as much fun riding a bike in a long time as the time i spent on the Scrambler. Yes i love the 1299 and it's been an almost religious experience riding that beast. But this was pure fun!
    It's the kind of feeling i really, really hope all kids get when they swing a leg over their first bicycle or mini moto. At 34 it's a feeling i had forgotten. A thrill that is hard to put into words but feels to me exactly like the first time i bombed down a mountain on a downhill bike. I couldn't believe the fun i was having, i really couldn't. I even did a 35 mile run around the moors in the pitch dark!

Why is it so good?

1) Handling - it's light, and makes cornering a piece of piss with the wide bars. You might find at speed that the front gets a bit flighty, but what light, upright bike doesn't at 80-90? The suspension is soft compared to sportsbikes but hey you can call k-tech if you need to.

2) It's really light - my wife was able to push it around the drive easily without fear of dropping it.

3) Engine - It's the 803cc engine from the last of the air cooled Monsters. They've put torque everywhere from about 1500rpm to the redline. Crack the throttle and it shoots off. One thing that is hilarious is how quickly it fires away from a standstill. Definitely quicker than any Monster i've ridden and possibly even the Panigales. Even my STR wasn't this spritely. It's easy to wheelie. The punch and power isn't sportsbike like but there is a bit of punch.

4) Looks - they've got 4 versions to suit lots of different tastes. For me it's the full throttle. I love the looks of it. I also like that you can change the tank panels. Which for me means in a year when i get a bit bored with the looks. I can swap them over and kind of refresh the bike. The one dial is simple, clean and gives you the info you need. I would like a gear indicator.

5) Noise - Hell yes! The bike i rode had the Termi with no baffle. It was fucking loud. Louder than my 899. It's deep, like Barry White deep. Then you get the popping as you roll off. Like someone just superheated a tonne of popcorn. It's class! and car drivers can hear you coming.

6) Fuelling is smooth as anything. It's a doddle to ride fast, slow, in traffic. Throttle response is crisp. Gear selection is less of an issue when cornering or riding due to the smooth fuelling and torque. Probably why they didn't put a gear indicator on it.

7) Tank range is about 150 which i think is fine for a bike of this size.

I really love this bike. It would be a perfect everyday bike for commuting and even weekend blasts. If i could justify having a Panigale sat in the garage for 90% of the year at the same time i would have one now. The only time you would want more is when you want that thrill of power and speed that a sports bike gives.

One thing i know for sure there isn’t a Monster in the Ducati range I think is this much fun. I would have one over a Bonnie/Thruxton any day and I dare say even Street Triple riders could be surprised by its performance and handling enough to change. Whack on some sticky tyres, steering damper and they would be hilarious at a track day.

This bike somehow reinvigorated me. I doubt i would have enjoyed the 1299 as much had i not been having a hoot on one. The paradox for people who may buy one of these is similar to when we set our suspension up. For most people using comfort settings on your sportsbike gives you everything you need. But, we never do that do we. This bike would be right for everyone 98% of the time. If you can just be honest about your ability and use of a bike.

However, when was buying a bike ever a rational decision? I own an 899 and do so on the basis that i do a few trackdays and go 'scratching' at weekends (less so since becoming a dad). I love opening the garage door and thinking 'Fuck Yes I Own That!'. Something i never had with the Thruxton, STR or Tiger. A feeling that faded with time on my 675R. I'm scared that one day i would open the garage look at the Scrambler and think 'meh!' But then again, maybe i won't.

If i was sensible i would buy a Full Throttle at £8k and spend the change from a Panigale on a track bike.

Go and try one. Go to some twisty roads. Fuck all the guys on their sportsbikes laughing and sneering at you. It WILL make you smile. It WILL make you laugh and chances are it will make them cry as they struggle to stay with some trendy hipster ballbag on a Scrambler that costs £8k less than their crotch rocket.

Peace!

20150928_160424.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Great review. And absolutely cock, and indeed, on :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nice write up, very much sums up what I feel about my KTM990SM but the scrambler has the looks too

• Like Like x 2
  4. I miss my 990 SMR [emoji31]

5. Good write up! Personally I didn't get on with the fuelling but it's perhaps because I was trying to rev it too much and not use the Torque plus I would need a longer ride to get used too it.

One thing I think u missed is that the standard seat is hard, I personally think too hard!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I used to miss the mother in law, but now I know how to squeeze the trigger gently whilst steadying the gun with the other hand. Works a treat! :upyeah:

The OP clearly likes the Scrambler, but I'm not sure about the look of the pannier bags in the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nailed it, perfect review.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reads great, the music I could take or leave, they've done better..... For some reason this melancholic piece has been the soundtrack to our so called summer:

9. Great review and write up

Just started thinking about one of these as a daily commute city hack

Love my multistrada for what it is and how it does it, and that's still a keeper, but can't help thinking I need a scrambler as well !

• Like Like x 3
  10. The only thing I don't like is you cant set it to race change so maybe I better try a scrambler

11. Perfect write up, I agree with everything. I got mine in May, it's just clcked 3,600 miles and is nicely loosened up. I've got the Urban Enduro and it makes me smile each time I ride it. Having had various 2 and 4 valve Ducatis over the last 20 odd years, so I've ridden pretty much everything, and this, like you say, ticks most boxes most of the time.
    It went to the South of France with luggage a couple of weeks back, no problem! Tyres are plenty sticky enouh for me, and on the UE the bash plate touches down first to give you a warning ;-)
    A great fun bike, hampered by shite marketing!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Certainly dont want to listen to that.

Glad you like the bike.

13. 899 is gone.Cutting about on this until things are sorted out. Love it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. I had the Full Throttle for a few days and i would add this to the mix.

The homologated Termis definitely strangle the Full Throttle somewhat. It just didn't have the throttle response, the eagerness nor the smooth fuelling of the Icon and race Termi.

However, to my eye it looks better. Less Bumblebee from Transformers. If i am to buy a Scrambler though I will buy an Icon, get the Full Throttle bars and the race Termi put on. I will have a better fuelling bike, with a bit more naughtiness to it and will mostly still be under the £8400 Ducati want for the FT.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I should have accepted that test ride when it was offered.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I miss my 950SM. And my 990 SDR. I really miss my Superduke. And my 690SMCR. That was just ridiculous, very concentrated fun. Too much fun. Like being permanently in assault mode.

But I test rode a Scrambler Icon this morning and found myself putting down a deposit. And ordering the Termi race pipe.

And definitely no soft panniers or other luggage.

Now where can I buy lumberjack shirts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. You fiend! Actually I rode a scrambler myself and loved it. Cracking little bike and really moves down country lanes.

I missed the 990 so much though, I'm back on one. [​IMG]

Lumberjack shirts are kept down in the basement where they belong sir... except in our Shoreditch branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Its a good write up but in all fairness you can have fun on anything - its how you ride. Personally, for me I sat on one in Riders in Bristol. It felt cheap, the bar position was that of a rally chopper for me, I was almost embarrassed to be seen on it and quickly got off that was about enough for me. If you were thinking about buying one then the write up would reinforce what you were already thinking. Everyone is different, which is fine that's why its called variety!! :)

19. Well you can't really have fun on anything can you, Honda 250 superdream, Honda Goldwing, Harley Fatboy, 3 bikes that I have had the misfortune to ride (all of them briefly) and can verify as being totally devoid of "fun" , no matter how you ride them!, I think you missed the OP's point , he was referring to the bikes lightness, quick but stable handling and snappy power delivery which all add up to erm, fun!, if you'd managed to overcome your embarrassment (are you really that concerned by onlookers opinions?) and ride the bike you'd understand the OP's (and others) enthusiasm, as for the bike feeling "cheap", well did you notice the price tag?, in comparison to other Ducati's costing twice as much it probably does feel a little cheap, still as you say everyone's different , I personally prefer the variety of motorcyclist that makes informed opinions rather than those that make negative comments about others machines without so much as pressing the starter button, that's it, ta ta ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. It wasn't negative (well I didn't think it was) I was just saying it's not for me. I've had fun 2 up on an old knackered cg125 grinding out the fixed footpegs. That's what I was getting at.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information