1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati St4s Custom Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by buzzer, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Good stuff! Are there issues with insuring a bike like this? I assume as far as DVLA are concerned, it *is* still an ST4S?

2. I just declare the modifications to the insurance, they load it a bit but not much. I dont tell the DVLA as the frame remains, just a bit different!

Sometimes it the little details that give the greatest pleasure… I needed some headlight brackets but they look terrible when you just crush the end in the vice… so I made this little tool to shape the ends.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  3. When annealing aluminium soap works as well, rub over the surface and heat until the soap turns dark chocolate brown then leave to cool. The aluminium is then soft and very easily bent, the original stiffness returns over time - a week or so.

• Useful Useful x 4
  4. PS. love your build threads and the expertise displayed

5. Instructive, informative and fascinating thread - thanks! Great range of skills and the facilities to put them into effect - very envious! A question about the height of the carb.. you obviously discounted removing the cross brace to get the carb to sit lower, was it not possible to do and get the carb at the same angle?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. the carbs sit at the same angle as they did on the Honda, both are the same, just looks different in the photos. I would have liked them lower but to keep the angle thats not possible. I would have liked some different carbs, but there are not many 48mm ones I could afford!

• Like Like x 1
  7. yes, I used to use soap to anneal aluminium, then I bought an infrared thermometer from Aldi (I am banned form the centre isle by my wife now!!!) but found it was not too good due to the reflective properties of the aluminium... then I learned about sharpie pens... If you mark the alloy with one, just as the marks disappear its at the right temperature for annealing! it works better than soap!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Assuming you are using an aluminium/copper alloy, the part must be quenched in water (or water/glycol mix) once it is heated all the way through. If you don't quench it won't really soften properly. Can also be put in the freezer to stop it going hard again!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. I have been on holiday for a few weeks, hence no updates... Now as winter approaches I will be spending a bit more time in the garage!

For now, I have finished the GPS speedo, and think I will use it. It worked well on test in the car, and the warning LEDs are very bright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. I sat for a long time in the garage, imagining how I could make the footrests. I knew exactly where they should be as I want the riding position to be “just Right” like my other bike. one important factor was some sort of rubber mounting. the design proved to be difficult, and after mocking some up in plywood, I came to the conclusion it would actually be quite difficult. In the end I have used the footrest assemblies off a Multistarada, which combine all the attributes I wanted, with the bonus they were an easy fit! I have also braced the frame. A considered decision… so many of these bikes break their crankcases. hopefully this will prevent that.

The throttle linkage is also now done… The right throttle action can make the world of difference to how a bike rides. I bought a cheap twist grip and played around with different diameters until it felt right. I will make a replacement now to the correct dimensions.

Sign the weather is getting cooler... I have moved to the other side of the garage, near the radiators!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Really enjoying watching your build ..... excellent work !

The speedo is great ..... could you give some extra detail ?
    eg. where you got the GPS module , and any other bits needed ?

Compliments on the TIG welding also ..... my welding skills are on the
    Fred Flintstone level .
    I can do a neat enough job with rods , but it's pretty limiting as to what can be fabricated ..... :)

12. Made a couple of items in the last few days... first I have mounted the front mudguard, made some stays out of alloy tube, complete with formed ends to make them look better, and also less prone to cracking.

Also finished off the tank plate and mounted the ignition switch. this took a while as I panel beat it out of some alloy plate into a compound curve. I made a tool to press the raised portion to add a little strength, and make it look a little better. I have mounted it with some 5mm anti vibration rubbers. Of course all will need a polish, but that all comes after the mock up stage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ref GPS module, a 'retired' iPhone with free download from the App Store of HUD (head up display) would make a good alternative

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. its a good idea that I have contemplated... my only issue was with water proofing it... with the GPS module I have used I can seal it completely and it just comes on when you power it up. I was worried about water ingress on the home button on the Iphone. I do have an old Iphone 4s that would do... may consider it if I can think of a way to seal it!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Nice work.

16. Grrrr. I thought, that sounds good, so I went to the App Store and all I get is this

2128D065-5C44-4299-8BE4-72D28692FEEE.png

17. Try this one:
    9EE9B8B8-AF12-4CAD-BA9E-DBE3C548CB36.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Or...... but focus on the one at the top.... !
    AE6B200D-067D-434E-BB09-0F4CB44547D9.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information