1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati St4s Custom Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by buzzer, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Beautiful handiwork:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I have been pondering how to switch the radiator fan on and off as I am no longer running with an ECU... I popped around to my mate yesterday and he suggested using one of these units which is adjustable for temperature. he uses them on factory machinery. I have put the thermocouple in the original sensor (snug fit, but used some heat sink Grease used on computer CPU's) and some Araldite to hold it in place. Its 12V, you can adjust the temperature and it has a 20 amp relay on the board which is more than enough for the fan... tested it today in some boiling water and it works well! The unit is very cheap at around £5!

Also made a good start on the wiring.. I know a lot of people struggle with this but I find it easy, enjoyable and quite therapeutic! Sad I know! I start by making a drawing of each circuit on a page, and wire that circuit on the bike. As I go along I write the wire colours on the diagram for future reference. Use pipe cleaners to hold the wire bundles together till all the circuits are in place. then run them through sheathing , and then crimp/solder the ends on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. loving your work dude.. more pics please!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. The wiring is coming on well, just a couple of minor circuits to do. I like this fuse box. one lead in, and all the fuses come off that, and it has a single earth point as well. All the ends are crimped and soldered… and covered with the glue lined heat shrink. When its finally done I can tidy it up and tape the joints with self amalgamating tape. As I had changed the location of the coils I needed custom leads, cheap and easy job. That crimp tool has not seen much use since the 70’s though, when it was used all the time! I had better get some resistor plugs as there is not much in the leads!

Also finished the throttle cable. I wanted to make the bracket slightly adjustable, so I made the mounting eccentric. couldn’t be bothered to change the chuck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. Still loving this thread !

I admire the meticulous attention to detail .... everything done to the
    highest quality , and with the best available materials .
    Do it once and do it right ..... a man after my own heart !

Glue-lined heat shrink AND self-amalgamating tape .... that equals or exceeds what comes out of most factories !
    It's going to be hurricane proof .

But if you keep posting such detailed instructions you are likely to make some professional auto-electricians rather nervous
    Ha !

:) ... :)... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Did you make up the fuse box or adapt something off the shelf?

This thread is so informative & helpful, thanks for that:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Not much progress of late... I came down with the flu, and its knocked me sideways... getting there now though.... here is a 15 second clip of the throttle linkage

• Like Like x 4
  8. spent a couple of yours in the garage today... still getting over the flu, so I have not been in there long... but long enough to get it started! It actually fired up almost straight away, which I was pleased about. at first I didn't have a spark though.... Seems the kill switch now works backwards. it will be a good anti theft! here its is running for just a few seconds, as there is no water in it yet...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Fun times!

10. another short video! there is water in it now so I got it warm...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Love it...sounds awesome, smooth as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Spent a couple of hours making a chain guard today… should keep the MOT man happy. He follows my builds, and sometimes messages me to say he will fail it!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. When the suspension compresses won't that guard foul the swingarm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. its the angle I took the photo Dave... there is a good 10mm gap at the back so the swinging arm can go inside the guard...

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. What do you reckon about that crankcase chain guard that the FB bloke mentioned/showed the other day? A while ago my mate had a 916 that had case damage from a broken chain and that solution was an obvious one at the time. Cheers (& nice build;))

16. I think its a brilliant idea, I was unaware there is a problem, but after checking its common!! I will be making one before I ride it, just in case! I will also make one for my Multistrada...

17. DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0002_1.JPG
    Like this.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information