1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati St4s Custom Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by buzzer, Mar 3, 2019.

1. A lot use the Gates App

2. I am unable to find this on the App Store hosted by Apple, does it have a more common name?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. I used the gates App... but others give identical readings. if you have flouresent lights, turn them off as the 50Hz they emit can skew the readings!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. that would make a very nice project... I used an ignitech which is virtually plug and play onto the coils and existing crank position sensor. If you go that way I can supply a map that is very close. I have used Honda VTR carbs, but while it runs great, they are not ideal from a mounting point of view. My next project will run a pair of 41mm FCR's which I have just bought... they are copies and cost me £280, the quality seems very good!

for more info, have a look at my blog, but any help you need, just ask... www.jtccc.wordpress.com

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Been out and about the last few days bedding things in after the rebuild... one thing I noticed was its slow to turn over when you start it. I had upgraded the cables, and the starter itself was good, so I had another look at the timing. When I did the map, I had the first RPM point at 400 with 10 degrees BTDC and the second at 1000 again with 10 degrees... so i changed this to 5 degrees from 400 to 1000, so there is not so much advance at cranking speed.
    I also configured the software so it did two full dead revolutions before it sparks... this means the engine is properly spinning before it fires... It really spins over now and starts MUCH better

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Interesting read, great work and fab bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Been doing quite a few miles over the summer.... here is a short video,,,,

• Like Like x 6
  8. I thought I would show some pictures of another ST4s variant I was working on this week. it is based on a 2001 ST4s and is one of the best finished and well thought specials I have seen.
    It was in for case of intermittently having no power at ignition on which turned out to be a case of dirty terminals for the main relay. The only grump I had about the bike was that the builder had moved the battery, ECU and starter solenoid into a box under the seat but he had moved the fan and fuel pump relays which were originally under the seat to a location in the seat hump. So that when the seat is removed and it's connectors unplugged the fuel pump relay goes with. So the bike won't run with the seat off making diagnostics a bit difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  9. What fuel tank’s he used there Derek? 749/999?

10. It's from a 748/916 with a custom airbox to fit the bottom of the tank.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. What's with those hoses?

Dented tank too?

12. Hoses are Samco silicon. Supposed to be the best available. I'm not keen on the bright red though.
    Dented tank? That is a standard 916 tank, the 'dents' are meant to be there.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1

13. The red hoses highlight what I don’t like about the water cooled nakeds!

14. Interesting point ..... it seems to be a modern design trend .

Our neighbour has a new BMW X-something ..... SUV type of thing , and the side panels
    have a truly nasty looking " crease " in them .
    It appears to have come "pre-dented" from the factory ....
    .... why bother , when you could just park it in Paris for a weekend ?
    :)

PS - I agree about these coolant hoses that are a viciously ugly colour .... what's that all about ?
    ..... that also looks like it's a growing trend .... : unamused:

.... I'll get my coat .

• Like Like x 1
  15. I was referring to what seems to be a dent, although could be a trick if the light.

Its not the hoses as such but the colour.

20200927_101430.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. It's a trick of the light, there are no dents. These are not my photos but here are a couple I took myself of the other side of the bike which shows exactly the same visual anomaly. The first picture shows the 'dent' the 2nd picture shows there clearly isn't.

IMG_20200923_144438.jpg IMG_20200923_144454.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information