1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Thumbs On 748

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Joe dwyer, Jul 27, 2021.

1. I’ve just picked up a 2001 748. It’s been many, many years since I last rode one. I’ve noticed that on full right lock my thumb gets pinched between the clip on and the air duct. Is this normal? The ducts look like aftermarket carbon crappy items. Don’t know if that would make a difference.

2. Photographs would help matters making any comments on this.:thinkingface:...but i don't think i'd a problem in the last 7 years on mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yup, mine traps my thumb's on full lock.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. They all do that sir!
    You will soon remember not to do it.

5. I have 848/1198 clipons and masters they fit great and I never trap my thumbs :upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

6. Surely you can adjust them?

7. I’ve a feeling adjusting your thumbs might be a little awkward if not downright painful, nice to be spit balling ideas though.:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. If my clip ons mashed my thumb, and were not adjustable every (even possibly) useful way, they'd have been replaced.

9. I ride flat bars these days, I don’t recall my 851 having this issue. Pity the lock stops haven’t got some kind of adjustment.

10. Mine do. Don't all Ducati's have them? How very odd!

11. My Monster hasn’t or else I’ve not noticed…..just off into the garage.

12. Trouble is adjusting them just reduces the steering lock even further. Never been an issue really, I just try not to do that many U turns!
    My Honda SP1 is similar but the tank meets the middle of my forearm on full lock.

13. My stock 916 is very close to thumb contact if I don't have my hand butted up to the switchgear end of the bars. I suspect that the carbon airtubes are contributing to the lack of clearance .

14. Yup my 748 does too. It must be a 90’s ergonomic’s thing because I remember the first (and only) time I swung the steering heavily to turn sharply on my 1991 GSXR. The pain of an absolutely mashed thumb jammed between the steering damper and switch gear is a pain I still remember vividly!!!

15. Happens on my 1098 too. Fkn hurts when it (now rarely) happens.

16. I noticed my 748 R clip-ons have a small lug that fixes the position against the top yolk. I like the bars very flat for leverage on track, so this is not ideal.

17. i'm sorry to haul you up Nigel, but... :thinkingface:

18. Don’t concern yourself, I didn’t bother going out to the garage, the Monster is covered in blankets and other stuff it never happened. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. it will have lock adjusters N.. just sayin'..

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I know was being sarcastic….:)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information