1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati V-single

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Old rider, May 23, 2017.

1. The ecu is a nightmare to get at - behind the notorious battery box.

Why would there be a difference between different resistance settings - not querying it but I want to understand.

2. water ingress, slight short beyond an already corroded connection. its just another quick elimination thing when your in a particular area.

3. Yes, I understand that but what I don't understand is the significance of the different resistance ranges on the meter.

4. more an electronic expert's field i guess. something i picked up when i wasn't sleeping during courses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Well I can give it a go on the highest scale but I don't understand why it would show anything different. Again, I'm not querying it, I just want to understand why it would be different. I would have thought there would either be continuity or not

6. yip, 200ohm will show a dead short, and continuity. higher scale for those annoying faults, shorts and components? more AC's and others field i think.

7. I can see why I was told to use the up to 200 range when testing the resistance value of the coil because I was looking for 0.7, which a high value range would never show up

8. Unless you've spent hundreds on your multimeter don't expect much out of it in terms of accuracy or repeatability.
    Typically the lower ranges and the higher ranges use the same drive test voltage, however say you have a 250 ohms leak (short) to the chassis this won't show up if your fun scale deflection is set to 200 ohms, as it is above the range and will show as open circuit.
    Further your multimeter will use a very low voltage to measure resistance. Most water based faults have a variable resistance to voltage.
    E.g 12v ......25ohms......
    0.33v ..... 250 ohms.
    Diode setting is useful here.....

All this said... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I recently had a newbie ask me the 3 phase colours .... I asked why and he said he was rewiring a 15kw motor... I declined and said "get a proper sparks,"

#48 AirCon, May 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2017
  9. So, wasting my time?? I didn't spend hundreds...

#49 Old rider, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  10. maybe now. but its just good practice when in about a loom anyway, its just a few clicks of a dial to eliminate the possibility of a high resistance short.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. That's what I was thinking...

12. Still got a Ducati V-single, despite replacing the coil with one off ebay :'(

Would a duff plug also give the same error-code of 10.1 or 10.2 ???

Symptoms were that the horizontal cylinder started chiming in and out before failing altogether.

13. cant say for certain but that would be a good example for checking for a high resistance short with your multimeater.
    5kohms from top to bottom of electrode. open circuit on your highest ohm setting from plug body to electrode. yu can get a carbon build up inside plug that can cause short

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I really don't want it to be the ECU... :/
    I have a gutted exhaust and a power commander. I suspect the power commander means the the ecu itself hasn't been remapped but I don't actually knw

15. Worth removing the PC for testing?

16. Thanks.

If only I could get the plug out...

Have ordered a thin-walled socket recommended by CR but for the moment, my filed-down and cracked oem plug spanner wont turn it, even though that was I put it in there with

17. Maybe but I'm almost as scared of electronics as I am of shims... lol
    Also, doesn't the PC only affect fuelling?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information