1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducatidiag and 2nd ECU

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by yets, Apr 16, 2013.

1. With ducatidiag you can flash an ecu that didn't come with the bike to make it virgin, correct? I understand that but could I for instance, get a second ecu, flash it and have it paired with ignition/clocks etc and have it with the immobiliser, essentially having a clone of the stock ecu? Sorry if I'm being stupid.

2. #2 ben155, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  3. From your avatar are we talking a 749/999

All depends on which ECU you have. If it's an IAW59M then JP's writer will disable the immo not viginise the ECU. If it is an IAW5AM then once you buy the Writer program you have to contact JP and he will send you a dll file that activates the Virginisation process. It's not in the writer as a matter of norm as people have bricked their ECU's not knowing how to properly use the writer. If you can track down a DP ECU for your bike then these are normally virgin (that's for IAW59M and IAW5AM) or get an IAW5AM from an 848/1098/1198/HM/SF as these are virgin. If you clone your ECU to a virgin ECU then there is actually no need to use the red key to program the ECU. The Immo in the clocks is sufficient to prevent the bike being started. However, if you just disable the immo in the ECU then you can actually start a 749/999 with no clocks attached to the bike.

My own 999 currently has an IAW5AM that came from an 848 fitted. It is a 2003 bike that originally had an IAW59M ECU fitted.

4. Its a 749 Chris. I'm eyeing a 2005 ECU from a 749. I'm wanting to load a few maps to help out with a potential exhaust mod.

So what you are saying is that I can use the writer to disable a used ECU with an immo (one that has come off an old bike) and then use software to Virginise it use in my bike? Then I would have to use my red key to pair it to my clocks and ensure that it has immo? So technically I'll have to ECUs that I could swap out and they would work with my keys?

5. So long as the immo is disabled the 2nd hand ECU will work with your bike. As it's a 2005 bike it will likely be an IAW5AM. I wouldn't even bother trying to go down the virginise and red key route. There are DP maps in the Ducatidiag library for the 749 so they would be a good base. There is also some software called ECM available on the site that allows you to create custom maps.

#5 chrisw, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. Thanks Chris, one last question; spotted a 848 ecu, will it defo work? Not sure of the year?

7. Yes it will work. As I said previously, I have an ECU from an 848 in my 2003 999. All I did was flash it with a 999 map.

8. Chris, did I get this right. Any used 5AM ECU from a 848/1098/1198/HM or SF is virgin regarding the immobilizer?
    I've killed my ECU on the MTS1100 and I am looking for a replacement.
    Regards, Thorsten

9. Correct :upyeah:

Can you expalin more by 'killed it'.

10. Hi Chris, thanks. Good news and I can spare some money.

I had a shorcut at the cables of the diagnostic plug. After pulling the diagnostic interface the dash showed errors 1.1 and 3.1. I did ground the K line of the diagnostic plug. Errors in the dash were gone but error log shows errors regarding TPS. So I replaced the TPS, did a reset and... still getting the errors in the log. I cleaned all connectors and plugs which I could reach w/o removing the gas tank (which is a bit of work with the old MTS). Currently the logs are error free but I'm not sure if the ECU is OK.
    To be safe I'm looking for a replacement ECU which I will falsh with the map from the original one (or a DP map). As I want to keep the immobilizer I did plan to revirginise a used one.

11. Do you mean you grounded the -ve wire of the diagnostic plug? The mod is to tap into what is the middle wire of the diagnostic plug and run to negative pole of battery.

12. Sorry, you are right. I grounded the middle wire of the diagnostic plug. First to the negative pole of the battery and currently to the ground connection at the engine case.

13. Hello. I have a Ducati 749 with ECU IAW 59M , how do immo off in this model ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information