1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducatisti.co.uk = Ducati Coventry!!??

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Firebladeboy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Shhhhh, be careful, the swear police will be here.......:wink:

2. you could say 'bollocks' on the other site. Not shit or...

3. Oh the potential of a mention of politics or even to pass on your negative experiences Of dealers.

4. :biggrin: Cock,.......... meh, I thought it would feel better :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dan's a good bloke, so he got fed up with running a forum, no problem, Rob has come along to do the same. If you're not happy that Ducatisti disappeared then set up a new forum, oops someone beat you to it.................

I should add that I quoted Mr R as in agreement with him

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good to see you over here Steve.

C (NedLudd as was)

7. Without getting too involved with the politics, rights and wrongs etc,

Is it not possible then, that any of you guys who have or do meet up with Dan could ask him for the personal and shared files he holds, be forwarded to their owners.

As you say, he's a good bloke I'm sure he'll oblige them.

8. That's a huge task you're asking him to complete.

9. Surely once you put them on an open forum they're no longer classed as personal?

10. Open the old forum for 24 hours for data to be retrieved and then shut it for good end of but close registration so no new members join in that time.

That would take 1 click to open and 1 click to close and easily fit between nappy changes = everyone happy and closure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. This could go on for ages I'm sure and I must admit I'm lagging behind my 5 year old daughter on IT skills but am I right in thinking your after things that you posted on threads etc and that they will all be held on the 'dormant' server? Personally I can't see that anyone would want to piss about opening and closing forums for a few hours just to allow someone to get a copy of a forum thread?
    I'm also assuming that anyone wanting to retrieve photograph albums would still have a copy of the pictures on their own computer somewhere (mine are usually in a folder named photos).
    As I have said my IT knowledge is limited (I still think its some sort of witchcraft) so I may be pissing up the wrong tree totally but then again it does also look to me like a 'good reason to have a moan' as well.

12. I met and talked to Dan at Pembrey and he seemed a decent genuine guy. Totally with the Ducati scene, the bikes, the racing, the ownership, the community.
    I know what Dan did for a living, his long shift patterns, recent marriage and arrival of children and he made no secret of the weight it was playing on him and running the site.
    It is however very strange how the shut down and loss of vast quantities of priceless data and information was handled; as I know several top end contributors and mods made no secret of the willingness to help run, take over the site or whatever was necessary.

Dan had his reasons and I dunno what the data protection issues are regarding what was stored in the site.

For me, I contributed cos I felt it was worthwhile. I "ran" the South Wales group with the help of mates I made on the site and I am sad that I have lost the contact details of many people I got to know. Hopefully they will also find this site in time.

I sure there are people on here who knew Dan well and I sure if it is possible to get that data back and on here people will try.

Best wishes Dan, sorry it didn't work out for you. Maybe if you're reading this you could change the redirect from JHP to this site?

Good luck Rob, the site looks fantastic.
    Long live the ducatiforum

• Like Like x 2
  13. I've lost nothing so it makes no odds to me but from a technical point of view assuming Dan hasn't deleted the database, opening the forum for a small period of time is almost a 1 click deal (i have done it on other forums)
    Whether he has the time or inclination etc or not is up to him but it's a way of bringing closure with minimal effort from him is all i am saying.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I was meaning contact details etc that were sent in pm's more than anything, but the knowledge that was shared was massive too.

15. Brilliant......I needed a laugh this morning, thanks :D

Absolutely..........I can't think of any reason he couldn't have done this before now, in fact I emailed him a couple of times asking for a locked down/closed version of the forum to be reinstated for a while so members could access / copy off tech info etc........no replies of course :mad:

16. Errrr...

Morning all... The 'excuse' that Ducati coventry gave is not good...

U can't just point a domain to an existing website... And it magically works.

Sorry to be a techie but the admin of the existing website has to add the new domain to the existing config. It dosent happen automatically.

Can u image registering billgateisgay and then pointing to msoft??

So someone is not telling the full story on Ducati Coventry s part ??? Someone pointed the ip address (they needed to know it, then someone must have configrd the existing site to accept the new domain.

Ok mr Ducati Coventry if 'didn't' do it, simply put a redirect on the name to THIS forum.

Bugs

17. Sorry you're wrong Bugs.......I could set any Domain I own to redirect to any webpage I choose or if I didn't have access to the Domain account but did have access to the website's hosting server I could add code to index.htm to redirect seemlessly to anywhere I liked. Pity I'm not on my usual PC right now or I'd demonstrate.....check back tomorrow to see where...

www.mts1200.info/BugsysWrong.htm

...takes you :)

18. Geek alart!!!!!!
    Bring back pen and paper, I'm so confused.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information