1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Dud Battery... Recommendations?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by yellowducmaniac, Jan 4, 2019.

1. With mine the Volts before starting, ignition off.... dash volts accurate to .02vdc at 11 to 15vdc compared to a £750 calibrated fluke.
    Note if you've an old multimeter or a cheap one the readings can be miles out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Read and keep the instructions with the meter.
    Test in a well ventilated area and not where you've just charged the battery.
    Test once only.

The tester is very very hot after one test, put it somewhere safe to cool down..

3. Is anyone aware if any of the Odysey batteries will fit a 1098r? Im aware they are limited in size

4. Their web site search engine comes back with no match. I was using a Shido LTX-14BS in mine but reverted to an AGM battery as I haven’t upgraded the regulator/rectifier. Andy

5. Will it slot straight in to battery tray?

#25 SP4S, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  6. The Shido is about half the height of the OE battery but you get plastic spacers that look like big Lego blocks to make up the height. Your avatar says London. I'm meeting up with Chiz for a coffee when I can get my arse in gear and we are meeting somewhere around SW London ish so I can show you. Might even be able to do you a deal. Andy

7. Sounds like a plan. Let me know when your in SW London.

8. Thanks to the post of @Exige I also purchased a larger battery, but to have even extra margin, I got the Yuasa YTX14H-BS, where the "H" stands for "High Perfomance" and it gives 240 CCA instead of 200 CCA as the non-H model.

It can be purchased for 70EUR here:
    https://carpimoto.it/it-CH/33669_YTX14H-BS-Batteria-Yuasa-YTX14H-BS.htm

Btw. before that I had a lithium battery, which after less than a month burned my rectifier. I think that lithium batteries drain too much current when charging, hence overloading the rectifier, or maybe have some diodes in them creating inductive high peak voltages.
    Yuasa_YTX14H-BS_Batteria_Moto.jpg

#28 luke1198, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Good info thanks - and yes, the Lithium batteries set older Ducati's alight - especially the 1098 type bikes with standard set ups - but many on here don't believe it :motorcycleduc::bomb:. Sounds like you were lucky!

10. All the fire talk has a got me paranoid! I have a Shendingen mosfet regulator on my 1198 with a lithium battery, is that susceptible to catch fire or its only a problem if the original regulator is involved please? I have a new oem stator too, the bike charges at 14.2 at the moment... And I’ve seen your leads, would I need a set ES03 for an 1199 on my 1198 to account for the mosfet upgrade? I ask because I think the 1199 has a Shendingen as standard. Sorry if these are stupid questions btw

11. There are many differing opinions but it largely considered that an updated Mosfet type Reg/Rec is advised - but on the other hand the UK manufacturer of Mofset Reg / Recs says don't use Lithium with his upgraded units. https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/
    My cable kits will always aid starting as they get rid of a weak point in the System - you would need the ES-04 Kit however.
    Lithium is a personal choice but certainly there is an element of risk in older Ducatis without modifications.

12. I understand, thank you for the info,

Do Not Sell My Personal Information