1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Motorways

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jan 18, 2021.

1. If I remember correctly Dept for Transport, Grant Schnapps had a safety review on this shocking matter last year? No prizes for guessing the outcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. How ironic. I actually don’t know what point you’re making there because the writing is not clear

3. Forget it then, but it’s very clear to me that you wrote you were a passenger in a friend’s car and it ran out of petrol. That’s what I read?

#23 michel couque, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. That does appear to be the governments rationale for introducing them.

The results of the Department of Transport investigate combined with the number of accidents and deaths arguably show the folly of such actions.

5. Thats what I read, due to the driver being unfamiliar with the vehicle and potentially severely distracted. I'm not sure whether Zhed was referring to the driver as a dumb person or those that almost hit them -or both.

6. Maybe if the twats did not close lanes seemingly for fun all the time, more people would take notice?

I use the M1/M69/M42 a lot. The M1 and M42 are 'smart' ( but not very). I have seen hundreds of occasions when the overhead matrix signs warn of obstacles ahead and close lanes and restrict speeds. Both in and out of the smart sectors

I can count on one hand the amount of times that there is anything actually there in 30 years of running those sections. More than 99.99% of the time, the gantry signs just end with the warnings behind still in place. They were either left on long after the incident was cleared, or (as I have seen many times) the incident is on the opposite carriageway and they switched the wrong direction on ...

Unless its a compulsory speed restriction and camera's are on (everyone knows where the cameras are) then traffic has come to ignore the restrictions and only slow for the camera gantries. Maybe if they got their shit together, everyone else would?

We even have lanes restricted up here for 'environmental reasons'. Its a fucking motorway for christs sake. Any doofus that bought a house there since 1960 knew it was near a motorway. What IS very noticeable in those 60mph stretches, is the exhaust fume stink, that is not there is the normal sectors. It only came about when the restrictions are in place ...

#26 HootOwl, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I stated several times as I am regarded as a trusted caller by Highways agency. That the use of 'all lanes running' where the hardshoulder is removed temporarily. Causes chaos along with the total removal along parts of the road network. Absolutely disgusting, instead of limiting the amount of cars people can own or use without higher chargers per vehicle. By limiting vehicles we could have higher quality better built machines, that last longer & use overall less resources. Instead its a yearly cycle of keeping up with the jetsons.

8. Why would limiting the number of vehicles owned by a person be beneficial? As they can only use one at a time, there is no reduction in the number in use at any given time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. What difference does owning multiple vehicles make?

There are four cars and two motorcycles at my house. Nothing gets changed yearly, even my company car is changed every 2 years or 3 years depending on how it behaves. All are taxed and insured and I already pay more than enough in costs to operate them thanks.

Try as I do - I can still only operate one at a time, so what does it matter if I have one or six ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. I think he’s trying to express that if you own multiple vehicles they’re cheap tat that breakdown lots so buy a single very expensive reliable car. Least that what I think he’s saying anyway...

11. Absolutely bang on, if the chuffing overheads were actually used correctly this would alleviate some of the problems. I swear the chuffing signage operators cause this chaos for chits and chuffing giggles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maybe...?

13. I thought that was odd. Most women I know get nervous about running out of fuel with half a tank left! I quiet enjoy the drama of seeing how far I can get with the fuel light on and onboard computer estimates. Mrs H isn't so keen on these games..... o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. I thought it was a challenge. How low can you go (rangeometer).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Quite right. One simply does not start to look for a petrol station until not only has the fuel light come on, but the on-board computer informs one that one has zero miles' worth of remaining fuel. Anything else would be little more than sheer cowardice and getting into the sort of flap that would be most unbecoming. The ideal which one should aim for is for one's vehicle to splutter to a halt as one activates the handbrake next to the pump .

16. Have I missed something here or what? A Hybrid car moves over to Electric at say below 25mph yes? so why if you run out of petrol can’t you drive off at the slip road albeit slowly, and find petrol?

Point Two...
    Imagine breaking down in lane 1/the hard shoulder of a smart motorway in Thick, pea soup type, fog, that would be horrific.. I guess you just hope the Smart controllers knowing it’s foggy decide not to use the hard shoulders as an extra lane on those occasions, but i wouldn’t bet against it.. X

17. I still think if the law was changed and it was made legal ( i’m sure many of us do it anyway) to overtake in any lane on a motorway ( not hauliers in fast lanes mind ) you would have far less congestion on our motorways.. When you get these idiots hogging a lane with free lanes to their left it just causes frustration and congestion ... X

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tbh, it’s almost 4 years ago now so I can’t recall exactly which way round it was. It either ran out of leccy then petrol or t’other way round and she thought the warning light was telling her it was low on electric, or that it was low on petrol but she thought it had enough battery power for us to get to a petrol station. From what you say, it may well have been the latter. The car was a Toyota Auris IIRC, if that helps. The hire guys didn’t explain anything tbh as it was a busy Saturday morning when we collected it - they just said “it’s got a full tank, there’s the keys, don’t let the dog piss on the seats or you'll be charged for a deep clean”.

We were trying to get off the motorway to find a petrol station when it conked out, hence breaking down on the approach to the slip road.

#38 Zhed46, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021

19. In view of the fact that due to this happening some 4 years ago and you can’t quite remember which way round things happened I would say your comment to
    @AC2VDT of ‘wind your neck in’ would be unfair , unwarranted and ungentlemanly . Unusual to see that sort of response on Ducati Forum.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I was wondering when you'd resurface. :rolleyes:

I disagree. Vicariously and rather sanctimoniously admonishing a stranger on behalf of their friend for the friend running out of fuel on an motorway without knowing how it came to happen was, in my view, deserving of the comment. I'm also sure that if he has/had an issue with it, then he would have said something.

I would also say that you are being overly pedantic and giving the issue of what order things happened in and what warning light came on way more attention than it warrants. :upyeah:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information