1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb Motorways

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jan 18, 2021.

1. It’s all a matter of opinion, my opinion is it’s not pedantic, you were rude and now it’s seems your story has changed. That’s my opinion. Naturally you have yours which might differ. End of story.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Jesus man, this is a forum and I was commenting, conversationally, on the closing of hard shoulders on smart motorways, not giving evidence at a trial regarding how or why my friend came to break down on one. I stated that she "ran out of petrol" (which is true) but wasn't expecting to have to give full particulars in punishing detail regarding precisely what order she ran out or petrol or electric and/or what warning light was being displayed.

I think you need to get a sense of perspective and/or a life and/or use the "ignore" or "block" buttons. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have never ever considered block or ignore buttons, but as I said your wording of ‘wind your neck in’ is downright rude, fact. End of.

• Like Like x 2
  4. You've got it! Splutter up to the pump- winner!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Down a hole. In the fog. With an owl.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. A police and crime commissioner (PCC) has written to the government to say smart motorways are "inherently unsafe and dangerous and should be abandoned".

South Yorkshire PCC Dr Alan Billings wrote his open letter to Grant Shapps, -aka Mr Green- the Secretary of State for Transport.

His comments come after a coroner found two men had been unlawfully killed on a "smart" section of the M1.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55708791

The Department for Transport said "smart motorways are as safe as, or safer than, the conventional ones".

Shapps is wanker though, and its very possible he is talking rubbish as usual.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55782301

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. In other words, it’s another response straight out of the Govt’s standard playbook ie: ignore all the experts while loudly proclaiming “we’re right, you’re wrong” yet producing no evidence to back up the claims, then later do a u-turn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oh, just like the second jab for the covid vaccine! Make a decision off the top of your head to make you "popular" and then search around for eggsperts to back you up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. They are consistent. Consistently wrong.

Turd.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Well we’re leading Europe by a long chalk in the Covid vaccine jabbery.... Something must have been right. But all the champagne sipping Guardian readers on here won’t have any of it :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Says the minister who probably flys around the country by private jet, train etc and would never find himself in lane 1 on a so called smart motorway, hence he gives not a f**k.. X

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. So - we have government controlled smart motorways that free up a lane to ease traffic congestion for the benefit of most road travellers, apart from those it kills.

And then we have covid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. With an inconvenient overlap for Shapps (aka Mr Green). Shapps is Minister of Transport and responsible for DVLA. Staff are scared to work at the UK vehicle licensing agency's contact centre in Swansea where 500 workers have contracted coronavirus since the pandemic began, according to the Unions. This is the highest number of cases at any place of employment in the entire UK.

A complaint received by Public Health Wales’s outbreak control team claims DVLA workers were told to turn off their test-and-trace apps “so that their phones do not ping”.

Maybe Shapps will be the first Government Minister to be sued?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. If people drove as they should do, eg moving back to the left when they have completed their overtake on a motorway and if people approaching the motorway via the slip road again joined the carriageway by increasing or decreasing their speed to join the traffic flow, rather than either expecting, or, forcing those already in lane one on said motorway over to lane two you would have far less accidents and jams / congestion, sadly though that’s unlikely to happen because few people know the rules of the highway and even less choose to follow them..

With covid dramatically reducing travelling presently there should? be no need for smart lanes.. Having said that, you will still see people driving along in lane two or three with no one to their left for 100’s of metres..

They have the cameras, fine the idiots..

Rant done...

X

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. And if people wore masks ...

Folk never do what they should?

Or should they?

16. Totally agree Noods , drove to Plymouth last week around 250 miles each way and the M1, 25 and 3 still had people driving in the middle lane/s the roads where actually quite empty, I do not understand driving in the middle i have seen people drive down slip roads and straight into the middle or outside and just say there. Why ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I hope that the trip was "authorised". I know that middle land hogging is as I've seen Police cars go from lane 1 to lane 3 in order to overtake a hog and then continue without stopping the idiot so that they can receive a good kicking - probably too busy looking for bikers to intimidate..

18. yep.... and they should be pulled up for it as they are endangering both their health and that of others too.. like wise on the monitored motorways etc, break the rules you get fined just as you do for speeding.. In these average speed zones i bet to stick to the speed? cause if you don’t you get hit with a fine and poss points.. Do the same with BLATENT... Lane hoggers and you will see a change in driving behaviour quick enough.. one thing people do not like is being hit in the pocket... X

19. Yep.... but get frustrated by them and overtake them on the inside lane as i did ( safely ) you get a fine and a driving course to do which is what happened to me... At the course i asked about these hoggers and the instructors confirmed big brother is about to start fining them.. Funnily, in the class of 30 people, nearly half of the class were stunned when they were told this.. most were OAPs it has to be said, and they had no idea that by sitting in the middle lane or similar with no one on their left they were doing anything wrong ... X

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. yep... they are not good at nailing muggers who stab people either.. I’ve been advised to drop charges against the one who stabbed me a couple of months ago but, he is pressing charges against me for throwing one punch breaking his lower jaw and knocking three teeth out... ?
    I wish i’d followed up with a left too now... X

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information