1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop KR 106 & 108 slicks

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Mary Hinge, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Anyone using these bad boys? I've heard a lot of good things about them. Not cheap, but worth it by all accounts...

2. I use them and like them. A nice progressive feel to slides and decent wear capabilities.

3. Good stuff, thanks. I've just got some and can't wait to give them a jolly good testing. They seem very wide... They do 185 and 195, I have a 185 and it measures wider than my Bridgestone 190. I thought the width measurement was from tyre wall to tyre wall...???

4. I use the 195/65 rear, it has a nice profile. I have never measured it compared to other tyres. Every tyres manufacturer says they one size but on measurement they are all different. 195 is the width, could be the same as a michelin 200 or a 190! who knows!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Recent convert. Jumped off road tyres, to pirelli slicks (fast trackday one) to these and sheer revelation from the pirellis. But...I found SCs better than those slicks by a long way

6. on a 5.5 or 6 inch rim?

7. I used the 195 on a 5.5 inch. Not saying its the best - but works.

8. By far the best tyre out there, ran them for a while when I raced an R1 in the Hottrax endurance great feel, progressive slides if you're close to the limit, exceptional wear rate.

9. And expensive!! Hoping mine will hold up a test at brands, then need to think new for next time out or buy whatever tyre man has if I make the grid

10. Mixed felling's with the kr's,
    Set some good times in hot weather !
    But had an incident when it was a little cooler and the rear let go!
    Soaked with warmers then 2 average laps then rear just let loose !-(
    Have used them over in spain and the dunlops are good, and they weR really well

11. How did you get on with these? Cheers.

12. I've switched over to the KR106/108 on all my bikes. They are stiffer then the Pirellis which some people don't like as they do not communicate quite so well but they are way more stable in hard acceleration or braking which is particulary good for the Panigale. They are more temperature sensitive than the Pirellis that can be run a few psi too high or low and still perform the same. The biggest difference is that the Dunlops do not drop off like the Pirellis. I'll do 3/4 of a day on the Pirelli slicks or supercorsas and they drop massively in performance and really start to spin up all over the place, the Dunlops will still be giving more personal best lap times even after a day and a half when they are completely worn out. I've learnt the hard way that I cannot risk fast laps on the Pirelli when it is more than a day old. I've got some Bridgestones for Cartegena next week which are supposed to be somewhere in between so that will be interesting to try out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Have you been able to compare the Metzeler Racetech with the Pirelli Supercorsa ? I've got to make big improvements before tyre degredation really becomes an issue but the 1098R will try to kill me a lot earlier than the 853. So far at my ability level, I really like the Racetech. Andy

14. Got rid of dunlops as didn't like how they moved around all the time.

Pirelli man, but wear is terrible. A rear can be done (past it's best) by lunchtime especially if abrasive track.

Probably going to try the VO2 at some point although I'm steering to road tyres so I don't have to worry about changing wheels if just a bit damp :)

15. Been riding Pirellis since I got my first Duke in the early 90s but have just fitted Racetecs, many say they are the same, some say they don't drop off so quickly - guess I'll know soon enough!

16. You must have some good pace if you've toasted a set by mid-afternoon!

17. Yeah 'I've heard' the Dunlops are the most sensitive to correct tyre pressures and move around a lot if you don't keep the heat in them (which worried me a bit in case I'm just not quick enough to keep them working) but I wanna try em... KR106/8 going on next me thinks.

18. I find them quite similar to the Pirellis, very slightly less grippy in the dry but loads better in the rain when on the road. I'm not sure if they are any better with wear as the set I used did about half a day on track and then got finished off on the road where you dont really notice drop off as you are not pushing so hard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm quite aggressive out of the corners as I use the rear wheel spin to get the Panigale turned quicker. It's causing me trouble on the Yamaha R6 though because the bike doesn't ride off the rear wheel so easily so I'm high siding way too often. The more cramped riding position tends to put me too far forward when on full lean and I think I've not got enough weight on the rear wheel when powering out of the corners. This was a brand new set of SC1 in the morning. I was a bit suspicious that the tyre was a bit dodgy as I was getting the rear end sliding out a lot even by midday but that might have been just a greasy track which I think often happens at Jerez.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information