1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dvt Termi Exhaust Hanger Made

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Apr 11, 2016.

1. The Termi-supplied footpeg/hanger for the full DVT exhaust system is fugly. Removing both rear footpegs makes the bike look much slinkier and more lovely. But the Termi footpeg is also the exhaust hanger, so removing it would result in the exhaust flapping about and falling off.

So this weekend it was time to make up a hanger using skilled bodging techniques. Here's some pics.

After approximately measuring the hole spacing, I cut out a rough Perspex shape from an old number plate and offered it up. Apologies for the inexcusably dirty bike - this is rectified shortly.
    [​IMG]

The offsets of the holes are a problem. With no metal bending skills or equipment, I elected to keep things simple and go with a flat hanger rather than one with some complex bends in it, and use spacers to fill the gaps.
    [​IMG]

I went to a local metal recycling place (on Slyfield industrial estate in Guildford) where I rummaged about in their ally bins and came up with an offcut of 4mm aluminium sheet (I wouldn't go any thinner) and some 20mm ally tube which was once the handlebar of one of those little push-along scooter things the kids use. Cost ws £1.50. I drew out the template with special draughtsman skills.
    [​IMG]

I drilled the holes and cut the bastard thing with this angle grinder into a rough shape, then filed the corners off.
    [​IMG]

Offering it up to the bike to check the hole spacings and offsets again. You can see on the front hole where I've used a cut down bit of tube for the spacer.
    [​IMG]

After a coat of primer and several coats of black high temp barbecue paint, plus some new stainless bolts and washers, it went on this morning. You'll be relieved to see the bike is now clean after a good wash on Sunday morning. Note that though you cant see it, the rear hole is quite large to accommodate the rubber grommet that isolates vibes from the end can.
    [​IMG]

Ahhh....that's better.
    [​IMG]

Here's the "before" pic with the Termi hanger (with peg removed for testing). You can see how horrible it is.
    [​IMG]

Tools used - angle grinder, hacksaw, metal file, wet & dry sandpaper.

No, I won't make you one - this took all day! Apart from stopping to watch the football. A more ideal solution would be a properly 3D fitting that eliminates the need for spacers. Alternatively, anyone with a laser cutter could knock a bunch of these out in half an hour, and turn out some much nicer spacers too.

I still want to replace the rear spacer with a larger diameter one once I've found some suitably sized tubing. I may spray the spacers black as well.

Cheers

Tobers

• Like Like x 2
  2. Looks like a proper bodge job :tearsofjoy:

Only kidding... looks great, god work that man.

• Like Like x 1
  3. No, I won't make you one - this took all day!

I'll make it worth your while....... :grinning:

4. Maybe someone will bring a proper one out soon :grinning:

5. Bang a Ducati Corse/termi logo on it and start charging £80-100 and your sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. :confuse::confuse: No disrespect Tobers and whilst I admire the ingenuity + creativity, but even when I do decide to go for a DVT, I won't be asking you to make me one of your 'prototypes'......:Bag:

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's OK mate - I'm not offering you one :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Good stuff though i think its too thin maybe double it up as its only aluminium.

9. Hi guys I have been working on this exact thing for a friend.
    Here is an image of my 3d printed prototype and the fitting hardware I made today for it.
    It will be brushed stainless or satin black powdercoat.

Let me know if anyone is interested as I can get some extras lasercut at the same time. Drop me a PM.

10. Forgot the images

532ED33F-5031-43CE-A9F2-4F8B164D9364.jpeg

49C12AA2-74EB-48FB-832F-F2F5E8C0F17D.jpeg

ED0AC649-5F64-44FB-950D-96780F7A4D18.jpeg

1848FE09-3870-4CD8-92E6-6F2C6E183889.jpeg

11. Here's one I prepared earlier. Made from 3mm Stainless in one piece.

IMG_0760.JPG

12. Here you go chaps. My attempt at an exhaust hanger

189B89DC-1B21-4910-9E1C-141EABFFB528.jpeg

884589FF-F83F-4963-BDFA-D08581FFFCAC.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. my attempt :eek: ....your a f***** professional engineer/fabricator or something like that :laughing::laughing:
    great job mate and be prepared to make more ;)

14. I do own an engineering business

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Just ordered one of these for my bike. :punch:

• Like Like x 1
  16. If you decide to do a luggage rack to replace the pillion seat one day, drop me a PM. :upyeah:

17. Got my hanger this morning, so fitted it to the bike. Much better.

12E086E9-6010-4028-A463-00352212018C.jpeg

Jamie, my only suggestion would be to include a couple of black washers for future customers, as the part of the frame this bolts to is unpainted. I had some in the garage already, so sorted it.

18. That looks awesome, @Mulitrider75! I just got the “shipped” notification for mine, very much looking forward to it showing up in 5-10 days...

19. 5 days later, right on schedule. Installed in about 3 minutes, loving the new look.
    191ADA16-8120-419B-BB53-A3398A8AD73F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information