1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dyno Comparison - Standard V Termi Exhaust

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Full decat post header system under £600 delivered. Ok it's alli can but what it the std akro and Termi? Prefer the race end not works

2. I agree, it's a no brainer! Fingers in my ears to all the people saying arrow is the poor mans termi

Might have to splash on ti though

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I picked up my 2015 MS today after having the side stand and fuel ECU update. For the fuel ECU update, I asked the dealer to dyno my bike before and after the update. My bike is bone stock. It made 140rwhp with the original map and 144rwhp with the new map.

The Tech mentioned that they had dyno'ed a 2015 with a full Termi with the upmap and it produced 140rwhp. He said the Termi upmap appeared to be a bit lean. He was disappointed with the Termi system results as delivered. He figured he could remap it, but the system didn't really show that it would release any significant performance increase. He said the only real benefit is the 15lbs weight saving.

Don't shoot the messenger...:) My before and after dyno below
    [​IMG]

4. I used Hilltop motors for my last MTS remap , the difference was night and day , I'd definitely recommend a bespoke map for your bike , especially if you've forked that much for a full system.
    I used to run an Sthou with a PCV , the generic maps were no good at all , I actually lost power over stock with a some of the generic maps and a full system

5. Hi there,

Interestingly enough, I have 2015 1200s DVT with the Termi system on also.

I have recently been on a long European tour, but had fueling issues when opening it up through the mountains. I was with a friend on an identical bike with standard system on that was trouble free. Any suggestions ?

6. Hey all-

Dont have a multi anymore, but still have a fondness for them. (Former 2014 GT, w/tune and mods; now on r1200GSAw)Ive been reading a lot about the flat spot in the new dvt, and it sounds a lot lile the flat spot in the GSw motors.

I see lots of people talking exhausts and maps, but nothing seems to be working, and Im startig to suspect the problem with the Mts is the same as the GSw: too lean.

To meet the latest emission requirements on bikes with large piston bores, they simply have to tune it lean.....and now that there are lamda probes in the exhaust to regulate the mixture, the ONLY way for the ecu to fully and completely remap open and closed loops fueling is through lamda shifting. Even changing fuel enrichment in the ecu wont work because the lamda probes function as gate keepers to long term fuel trim unless that part of the ecu is also remapped (at least, in the case of the GSw ecu) will result in no substantive change to all the fueling values. my guess would be that the ecu in the dvt mts has a similar level of sophistication. Previously, the rexxer ecu pulled the o2 sensors out...and my multi ran a lot stronger, but if you have lamda probes that can adjust fueling as needed by conditions, thats better than a fixed fueling tables BY FAR. So with lamda shifting, the ecu will now dial in the fueling to a fuel ratio you specify.

has anyone dyno'd with a fuel meter to see what is going on with a/f?? Rexxer finding that mich power down low without having access to dvt cam phasing angles leads me to think its ALL fueling. If it is in fact lean, then the fix is easy...an o2 manipulator.

There is currently only one known remap for the GSw, and it's 700$ with no dyno testing....so I put in the AF-XIED and adjusted my fuel enrichment via lamda shifting. It plugs inline, is easily adjustable and has lights that display the approx a/f range and dials everything in couple tanks of fuel.

I really think someone should try one of these things. You guys have the benefit if knock sensors....so Once it isnt running lean, it will advance timing to some degree on its own.

I didnt dyno, because all i wanted was the lower operating temps amd smoother running low rpm... but the butt dyno approves. I can pull along smoothly without clutch from below 2k rpms now where before it was a shudder box from 1700-2300, and the mid range flat spot (also common on the GSw's) is completely gone. It pulls **a lot** stronger on the roll on, and increased intervention im getting from my wheelie control and my traction control confirm that. Its absolutely making more power than before.

Cruising mpg didnt take a perceptable hit. Cruising along at 55mph still returned upper 50's for mpg. My dealer doesnt care that its there, it tucks away cleanly, and is plug and play. Mine was installed in about 5 minutes total.

In looking at the website, it looks like your bike requires the bmw unit plus a couple connection adapters.

Hope that helps....id really like to see some dvt's put down strong numbers and get some mid range the way a duc should and trounce that XR..... It has it in there.....good luck!

Edit- probably spelling errors. Typing from phone.

#227 KiwiKurt, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I didn't understand a word you said but do you know @chizel ? It's similar with him too :Wideyed:

8. Cliff notes:

Problem: Bike lacks power because it's too lean.

Barrier to happiness: Only way to add fuel is to trick the signals sents from the o2 sensor to the ecu.

Solution: use o2 manipulator device called "af-xied" to trick signals from o2 sensor and add fuel.

Common fear: o2 sensor manipulation is a band aid fix.

Reality: moder ecu's in bikes are incredibly smart and adaptive in both ignition timing and fueling, but emission regulations necessitate an imprudently lean tune. O2 manipulation allows the ecu to run richer fuel values while maintaining full control over timing and ither parameters and have he flexibility to adjust fueling to the new desired level as ambient conditions and elevation changes.

Result: mo' powa'. Happy bike. Happy you.

#229 KiwiKurt, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Who is chizel?

10. He's pissed in Valencia at the mo, he'll be along soon. Our resident Kiwi :)

11. Ah...okey dokey

12. That's certainly been my view of the DVT and the reason it feels so underpowered compared to my original single spark. I've been holding out for a 'proper' remap-based option but can't see that anyone's effectively decrypted the ECU yet. KTM seem to be able to do a much better OEM job on fuelling, so it's clearly not impossible.

13. I wouldnt call a remap that disables the ecu's ability to modulate the fueling curve effectively "proper", but that is JMO...

The benefit of the lamda shifting is that it would work in conjunction with the upmap. So if the upmap had some extra ignition timing in it, it would be adding fuel and allow you to access more of the advance.

14. #236 KiwiKurt, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  15. Do you have the a/f curve plotted bu chance?

These bikes need more fuel. I think this full system, upmap, and some more fuel is going to really wake it up.

16. Lots of ktm's post the same tq dip in the same rev range. Every un tuned super duke 1290 ive seen does this. I see it less with the super adventure, but there are different cams in that motor.

Also, the 1290 is less over square than the MTS, so the realtive piston ratio is a touch smaller. Stroke helps fill in the mid range.....we also dont know how hot ktm is willing to tune their engines (egt, knock thresh hold, etc)

My *guess* is that duc formulated the engine build...from ports to valves to cams and then tuned it on a bench to make it work, and then did what they had to do to make it meet emissions.

May not be the case with the tq dip....but the certainty is that as long as they run lean theyll never run as strong as they could.....

#238 KiwiKurt, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Any decent tuner works from AF ratio. If they don't, they should be out of business.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information