1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-bikes

Discussion in 'eScooters, eBikes etc' started by broke, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Coming home in my van this afternoon, I saw what I thought was a pushbike approaching from a side road and coming to a stop. Anyway I passed the road junction and he pulled out behind me. Now I passed him doing 40mph and I stuck to 40mph along that road, within seconds he was up my chuff, all I could see of him now and again in the mirror was his head popping out a few times looking for somewhere to overtake, to be honest, I was tempted to brake test him but I withheld the urge (joke). Anyway, when he eventually saw a gap he pulled out and zapped past me.
    Now this is the bit that got me, he was wearing a jumper and tracksuit bottom, no helmet no gloves, nothing protective, he must have been touching 45ish when he passed me.
    What I’d like to know is, what’s the score legally riding something like that on the road. Judging by the way he was dressed, I doubt whether there was tax or insurance involved. And if that’s the case, what would have happened if for some reason he had gone into the back of me.

2. It’s illegal, at that it’s effectively an electric motorcycle not an eBike from my rationale.

You or your insurance would be trying to get him to cough up for the damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. It’s against the law if – either because the motor is more powerful than 250W, or if it assists you when you’re riding more than 15.5 mph – it will need to be registered, insured and taxed as a motor vehicle. In this case, you will also need a driving licence, and you must wear a motorcycle helmet.

This applies to pedal assisted motors (ie they only contribute while your pedalling, if you free wheel the motor cuts out.

There is a different/stricter law for powered cycles that will power the bike with no rider input at all ie twist and go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. What @Ackers said. If it’s doing that speed, it’ll have been ‘altered’ (chipped, defeat-device or parameters modified)
    As you point out, no protection-what’s the abrasion factor of bare skin?

5. About half an inch :confounded:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. My ebike cuts out at 15mph. But few mates had there's chipped and can reach 30mph +

But yes it's illegal to go that fast without the proper licence and gear

7. There eco friendly init.....:laughing::laughing:

8. don't forget this bit also if you want to be "squeaky clean" legally*:-

""Electric bike throttle: Legalities
    A throttle system in the UK converts an ebike into a moped. Throttles operating alone are generally (sic)** illegal on e-bikes as when used can be considered to make a motorised bike.

This is because the bike can operate without the need for pedalling. To be considered as an ebike, you must be pedalling in addition to your assisted power.
    So if you ride your ebike without pedalling and use a throttle, it will be classed as a moped.

Just using the electric assistance alone would mean that the bike is illegally converted and would be in contravention of the law.

What are the penalties for using a thumb throttle?
    An independently powered ebike is must be treated as a motor vehicle. Take a look at this from Nottinghamshire Police:-

“they are treated as motor vehicles and subject to the same legal requirements as other vehicles, such as MOT, licencing, tax and insurance.”

Additionally, you are required to have number plates, signals and rear lights.

So let’s total up the penalty points for using your ebike throttle on the road.

• If you don’t have insurance, you will have to pay a £300 fine and get six penalty points.
    • If you drive without a licence, you can get a £100 fine and 3-6 penalty points.
    • Various offences of no number plates, no signals, no rear lights – who knows!
    Section 59 of the Police Reform Act gives police officers the authority to give you a warning if they believe you have been riding your bike in a way that makes other people feel frightened or uncomfortable. If the police believe it is necessary, they can take away your e-bike.

These are pretty heavy penalties for using a thumb throttle on a UK road.""

* I am merely the messenger here, - above quotes come from:-
    https://myelectricbikeshop.com/ebike-throttles/

** my insertion.

9. I’m pretty sure that eBikes manufactured before 2016 are allowed to have a throttle. One of mine does (it’s thumb operated) and FWIW it was bought from a reputable bricks and mortar shop rather than some dodgy eBay drop shipper.

10. if true, the source should have included that in the interests of thoroughness. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I read many years ago, in Fast bikes i think, when they interviewed a surgeon in London waiting for the Donors to start being delivered as it had started raining that 'at just 30mph bone is ground away at the rate of 1" per second'
    By Donors he meant motorcyclists.
    When its explained that graphically it sort of rams home the point.

12. IMG_3297.jpeg

https://www.eta.co.uk/2023/05/10/e-bikes-speed-restrictors-and-uk-law/

Thoroughness is a rare commodity. Incompetence is the norm. In my experience the vast majority of people are infected with Dontgiveafuckitis and they think “close enough is good enough”.

NB: that says “sold before 1 Jan 2016” but I’ve read elsewhere that the exception also applies to eBikes manufactured before that date even if they were sold after it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. The modified examples are usually ridden by machete carrying, class A drugeroo couriers.
    THere's one in my neighborhood that can be regularly seen drafting the back of larger vehicles.
    Stupid is...:rolleyes:

#14 Nelson, Nov 13, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  14. Thread moved

Do Not Sell My Personal Information