1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E mail scam

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Nothingbettertodo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Just had this email appear in my in box. Looks like a scam to me so be on the look out. Could somebody have compromised this forum?

image.jpg

2. Oh dear.
    Forum has been hacked.
    Stand by for never-ending spam from now on - unless you use that pseudo elsewhere.

3. It's easy to intercept unencrypted mails... Sounds a bit spywareish to me, but believe that this is more difficult with iPad devices

4. I haven't had an email?

5. Nor me. But perhaps only a matter of time.

6. its quite possibly a virus or spyware either on your PC or from any number of sources. its also possible your email account has been hacked and they have skimmed the user name from a legitimate email (just changing the password is normally enough to sort it) When forums get hacked they tend to bring the whole forum down rather than target one user or a group of users.

I'd change your email password and do a virus scan, should be enough to sort it.

7. This is the first Ive heard of any such problems, so sounds like its a local problem. Hope that helps
    mmb

8. Is your email address "nothingbettertodo@ <something>" by any chance?

9. Fairly obvious it's either a virus or malware, do you recognise the senders email address? You could probably look at the headers and see it's been spoofed and get the source address and IP.

Dont click the link.

10. No it isn't. I don't have a pc, I only use iPad or Mac and also use a Hotmail email address for forums etc. I've had no further spurious emails since but just wanted to alert folk. Of course it could be the US Secret Service or GCHQ!! ( who will now of course scan this thread because I've used "trigger" words and do a thorough check up for me:biggrin: )

11. I had a medium virus about a week ago that seemed to be more active when on this Forum but can't be sure. It was a 'browser redirect' type which either opened a new tab with a yahoo address in it or just a blank window sometimes.

12. Can I suggest you all go to Webroot (google it) and download the free trial version.

....It lasts for 14 days, but if you have something nasty in your PC, it will find it and remove it.

PS..........It seems to me the OP may have inadvertently been careless with his details.....

....I trust he has used a fake name on that email, otherwise the whole world knows it now......

#12 Ghost Rider, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
Do Not Sell My Personal Information