1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Plugs - Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by duke63, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Can I politely suggest you stop riding by those same policeman. Once is bad luck, twice is suspicious but three times? looks like you're on a date :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. They were on decent BMW's, as was I.... what's a guy to do!!?? PMSL!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I can’t get on with them. Tried once when my ZZR riding buddy told me that he thought them essential. I found them an irritant, missed the sound of the bike & the noise doesn’t seem to be too much for me. Irony is his bike is a whispering giant compared to my Termi clad 1098

4. I think termis and akras sound better with ear plugs in. It removes the treble and you just get the bass. My 1299S's akra has the pleasure of being even louder than my full 70 on my old 1198. But the slash cuts on their own sounded bassier than after id put the 70s on. It had a much rounder bass.

5. It's not the noise of the bike that damages, it's the wind on your lid. Not sure how old you are or how long you've been riding but hearing loss will come in time because of not using ear protection.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Its the high frequency hiss of the wind that does the damage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. As above, the persistent 'white-noise' does the damage.... there are different grades of the foam ones, and its worth trimming a little off if they irritate too far in the ear canal. Just resting in the opening will help filter a lot of that noise out.... Or get some custom moulded ones made - they have a small hole / channel running through (of varying size depending on application) and can be tailored for task specific benefits. I play drums and work in noisy places so have some sets of these. Back in the day they were expensive, but you can get the kit to make you own fairly cheap these days... look after ya ears pal... mostly the damage done today wont be noticeable until your hearing starts to naturally fade with age.... its a very sublime kind of 'injury' until then. Peace. (no pun intended...)

8. Appreciate the feedback guys, I’ll look into it again

9. I’m amazed at that too. I’ll still use them in Spain.

Is it all plugs or is it to stop bikers listening to music?

10. Apparently according to above posters its not illegal.... i think ill get myself an official confirmation in writing from Traffico when i get home to keep under the seat of the bike so i don't get rolled again...maybe mis-informed cops, maybe ass-holes, maybe confusion of the legality - eg: what if my Sena system was turned off?.... I know different EU countries have different ideas about stuff (France especially) and to be honest I'd rather pay than engage in a bum-fight with GCT and my poor level of Spanish as they will only find another reason to up their fines targets.... On a UK license so I have avoided getting any points....just fines :) Cant have it all ways i guess.

11. I contacted Guardia Civil and ear protection is fine. What is illegal is earphones and in helmet speakers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I use earplugs and an intercom with music for motorway journeys. I'd be in the Spanish nick quicker than you can say scorchio

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. It's great that so many of you have decided to give them a go.
    As mentioned your hearing will not improve and damage now can show up as the years progress.
    So use plugs all the time and save your hearing....

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information