1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Plugs - Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by duke63, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Stupid not to IMO.
    I don't get on with the foam ones, they never seem to stay put.
    I use the rubbery, christmas tree type.

2. Always wear ear plugs tried the custom made ones but couldn't get on with then now use cheap foam ones change them daily and keep them in a 2 compartment container so that the earplug always goes in the same ear

• Like Like x 3
  3. From 1989 to 2014 with no ear plugs but yes with the ducati's as they are very noisy:upyeah:

4. Been using foam ear plugs since the early 90s if not before.

I cannot see why anyone wouldn't use some form of ear protection but we are all different. It should be personal choice.

5. Tried ear plugs fooks my balance up good and proper ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. i have tried loads of them ,even the ones that you mould to your ears but i find them all painful to wear ,plus they always fall out .i think it must be my small "Shrek" ears.

7. pardon speak up;),maybe i'm using them now as i have damage to my hearing:thinkingface:30+ years in construction alongside 20 years with garden tools

8. Wind noise is the issue, not bike

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Yes wind noise at high speed or any speed for that matter,but both are connected and possibly long term riding will do damage beyond repair:upyeah:

10. I always always wear ear plugs. As Brad correctly says, for wind noise. Not bike noise. I cannot even begin to ride a bike without them now.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I wear them most of the time on rides over 20 mins. I just ordered some (Tiger)musician plugs to try after a loud gig last weekend where I was putting I finger over left my ear cos I could feel pain from high frequencies. Had tinnitus for about 5 years now. Very distracting and annoying, tv subtitle mode is getting a lot of use lately.

12. No 'possible' about it unfortunately. It WILL damage your hearing permanently.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. What a frightening thought:(

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I agree, but bike noise can be ok and not annoying. Wind noise is always annoying!!

I have worn them so long now that when I don’t, my bike feels slower, sounds like it’s about to break down and generally I ride slower as it’s just too much on my senses to cope with. Even if I pop to the shops I wear plugs.

Foam ones for me, use and bin after a few uses and many new pairs doted in jackets and bags

Wife uses them too: futile attempt to not hear me snore

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Always use the foam jobbies, I just cannot ride a Ducati without them as the mechanical noise from the v twins drives me nuts, ear plugs cut out so much of the clatter , it's worth trying a pair just for that alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I buy ear plugs in bulk as I also sleep with them in. Habit formed from a noisy neighbour where I used to live. Ive got so used to them now that I cant sleep without them. I buy a box of about 200pairs, those pink n yellow ones.

They cut the wind noise hugely, yet I can still hear my engine. Which is what I want as I need to hear its note as this tells me my speed generally and also if anythings about to go clunk. Plus ive an Akra on my 1299 which has managed to be louder than the 70mm termi system on my old 1198. Which is nice. Earplugs make it sound nicer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bike (ducati) sounds f*cked without them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Always use the disposable foam ones now.
    Learnt my lesson around 1990, riding back from the Bol D'or - Orange to Lincoln in 16 hours (inc ferry) on a GSX1100 and Harris 4 into 1 with competition (no) baffle, rendered me temporarily deaf for the next 24 hours.
    AGV helmet of the day probably wasn't that good either.
    Bought the Best Shoei I could afford thereafter.
    Changed brands last year to a Shark, looks nice, great internal sun visor, but poor visor seal and inadequate ventilation means the next one is likely to be a Shoei.
    1 exception - I Never use them on the IOM. Need to know when a quicker rider is coming by, Ducati mirrors are useless and I don't have eyes in my Arse.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information