1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Plugs - Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by duke63, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Funny, so struggle Even on track without them. Sod whoever is behind :laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. As I've already said I've never tried them but after reading this I thought I'd give them a go, so I've just ordered some, an old dog e.
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
  3. I find it's not just the wind noise, it's the fact it secludes you from all other distractions like chain noise, suspension banging and other road users so you can concentrate better on the job in hand. Staying upright.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Decided to do the ride home without my music on yesterday. Took a good 20 minutes for my head to clear and to lose that dullness to my sound. Think I might get some ear plugs. Can you still hear the intercom over them though as I’m thinking, if you can then what’s the point as you’ll hear everything else. Or am I missing something?

5. I've always ridden with earplugs, and ditched foam ones a few years ago in favour of these. Some of the claims in the blurb seem a little OTT, but I can listen to music, take calls, etc and external noise is still suppressed. Having said that, I could still hear the headset using foam plugs, albeit a little more muffled.

I'm on Infinity's mailing list, so get an occasional £10 token, which helped keep the price down.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I also find the foam ones crap.
    I use this type, easily rinsed off and re-used.
    upload_2018-6-29_8-3-40.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Different type of noise. If it’s a good quality speaker, yes.

8. Ear protection suppresses different sound frequency. Not all are the same.
    However you should find that you can still hear music , intercom etc. I have no problem to hear mine.
    But the most important thing is you will be controlling the wind roar noise.
    People who assume that it’s engine / exhaust noise you’re blocking is not correct. You’re leaving that in your wake for other folks to enjoy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Around 20 years ago I became aware that my hearing wasn't as good as it should be, especially when trying to keep up with conversations in noisy pubs. After many years of riding bikes, listening to loud music and working with bands perhaps that wasn't surprising.
    So I started wearing earplugs when on the bike. I'm pleased to say that since then my hearing hasn't got any worse. The only down side is, if I forget to put them in it drives me mad and I have to stop as soon as possible to fit them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Was just going to mention that I suppose the ultimate test for hearing protection is Moto gp. And most of them just use simple foam plugs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dont you just hate it when you forget, or when one isnt in quite right.

When stopped or pulled over for whatever reason, I use the spring loaded fuel key cover thingy to hold my plugs. Helps me not lose the bastards and reminds me to put them in.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pardon! I didn't quite hear that!

13. I either go naked or ear buds for music.

14. This hot weather does strange things to people. ;)
    Steve

15. Both Carole and I wear them. Seriously weird when they plug your inner ear canal and then pump in tha same sort of cold and clammy goop that dentists use for moulding false teeth. Not cheap but I find they are better than the yellow foam jobbies that I used for years. I bought the basic plug but will at some stage get the speaker option retro fitted. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I go with the foam Howard Leight Max orange ones, but cause we have endless boxes of them available, I never have to use the same pair twice, but from experience, they're very good. But every ear is different, so my recommendation would be, wear something, it's better than nothing. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. I've got several foam ones and wax ones as well. I don't think the bike is too loud with my helmet on. I wear earbud type earphones for longer rides anyway cause I get bored.

• Like Like x 2
  18. When we are riding around on battery bikes, ya won’t need ear plugs........,no wait, hold on to them, it will dampen the voice of those calling you a wanker

• Funny Funny x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information