1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear protection

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by 998gsb, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Standard ear plugs just dont fit in my delicate lugs, I now have custom fitted "ultimate ears" with in ear monitors for intercom and bike to bike radio. These are a perfect fit for me and although they cost around £160.00 they are worth every penny.

2. He's not our pal Alan, we found him en-route one year with a coolant leak and took pity on him, now we can't get rid of him.........;-)

On the hearing side, I bought some moulded ones in the States and had earphones made at the same time. Needed something to keep the exhaust noise down, wear a Schuberth too, but you need good ear protection as well. I tried the foam ones, but prefer ones that don't go into the ear canal.

3. cant ware ear plugs on the bike , you cant hear the engine properly that probily why i have tinatus in my left ear ,,,,,,,,,,,Pardon

4. I have had a pair of Ultimate Ear Protection custom plugs for about 4 years and they're awesome.

I had the moulds done at the NEC bike show and from memory they cost about £80. Worth every penny.

Pete

5. I have some custom plugs, but I do like these too:

[​IMG]

6. That's interesting as my personal experience is the the Howard Leight ones are a little harder and denser and block out more wind noise than the Earsoft FX. I tend to rotate them as the Earsoft are a little more comfortable. I find a pair lasts me about 4-5 days for my normal daily 50 mile ride, if I'm riding all day then I use a fresh pair each day.

7. Sure, I guess those SNR are abstract test figures, while in reality whichever good disposable fits best will inevitably give the best attenuation.

8. You must have a few of these lying around your house Gav

[​IMG]

9. Opps sorry I thought the thread was about Butt plugs

10. I have problems with any plug that goes into the ear canal, basically I go almost deaf for a couple of days after use due to wax issues. Started using "Macks pillow soft ear plugs". They are like a cross between wax and blue tack and you mould them into the gap in your ear, but not down into the canal. Maybe not as good as the internal ones and can be fiddly, I experimented with how much to use per ear till I got it right, but does cut out wind noise, are comfortable, and don't cause me any issues.

11. I couldnt either as it affected my balance. I'm partially deaf in each ear from personal stereos in the 80s
    I did try but my heart beat was sooo loud and guess same as you tinnitus

12. I tried many ear plugs, including the foam ones and the (super expensive) Alpine Motosafe. However, they all felt uncomfortable after a few hours.

Now I hacked my own as in the image below. They consist of the silicone earbuds of the Bose noise canceling QC20 (which are very cheap and available in different sizes) with a piece of foam (cut from a foam ear plug) inserted into the channel.

They are super comfortable, can wear them for an entire day without noticing, and they damp the noise by just the right amount for me (I have an 1198 with OEM exhaust).

00_ear_plugs.jpg

13. +1 for the Howard Leight Quiet ear plugs
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Howard-Leight-by-Honeywell-Quiet-Uncorded-Reusable-Earplugs-26-dB-Ear-Plugs/281860866542

[​IMG]
    each pair comes in a plastic 'keep me clean' box; they're cheap as chips (ten for less than a fiver); they're really comfortable (well, for me they are - and I'm probaby completely average), and they're quiet enough that even when I'm travelling at speed I can hear my tinnitus nicely. I find them easy to insert (there's a hard plastic 'pusher' that helps get them in) and remove (I can grab them easily). Lastly, I've been wearing the same pair for a couple of months. I've not used ear protection before - I wish these had been available when I was a kid!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information