1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy Way To Check A Battery?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by timberwolf, Jun 24, 2016.

1. I use a lithium battery in my Laverda - and a trickle charger. It's been fine for several years...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah I have a Shorai LiFe in the 1098 & no issues whatsoever, its been absolutely fine and if it went tits up I'd probably go straight out and get another.

That said @AirCon really knows his onions and personally I take heed of his advice.

He would not be posting that sort of statement/advice without good reason

John

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. There are many hundreds of people out there who are happy with the Lithium battery fitted to their bikes and because it performs well they say nothing. Then there is one person who has a problem with one and he will splash it all over the net that Lithium batteries are shite. The people in between tend to see the bad publicity and then form an opinion, even if they have no experience, but will pass that opinion on to anyone who will listen.
    I am happy with mine on my bike, in my phone, in my laptop etc.
    I understand that Ducati fits a Lithium to some of their top end bikes, if I am correct then I would much rather trust their opinion than I would some bloke on the internet who I have never met.
    Here is a LINK.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hi Bob,

I sure you never meant me with your comments as I never said they were "Shite" nor have I splashed it all over the internet, but never let that get in the way of random over the top response to a sensible / balanced /informative post. :Angelic:

I'm an electronics engineer (HNC) and I also hold an MBA. My back ground is ultra low power radio (data), long life Battery (+ 7 years) in the security industry and other low power controls / data collection. I lived and breathed batteries for years in various environmental chambers....trying to get every last drop out of them and to try to predict when they were just about to run flat.
    Further I've sat on several international standards committees including the the new EU/UK electronic security standards.
    I know Onions....as the last man said.

Earlier this year I attended to a new'ish Ducati where the regulator had caught fire to several near by components. The rider had just fitted a LiPo battery.
    Checking back with Ducati other similar models had been recalled to "reduce" the output of the generator coils to prevent regulators from over heating.
    This model had not been recalled, as they had no reports of fires on that model. That's how these things work...recalls etc.
    I know as an early discoverer of cracked ohlins forks....later a recall notice.

The problem with Lipo is that the batteries typically have a much lower AH rating than the matching OEM Lead acid battery (or gallon capacity if you want to compare it to a bucket), however they are able to give and receive all of their current nearly instantaneously (so a huge pipe...instead of a large hose...water again).
    Hence they get very hot and can burn down houses and crash aircraft (just google this for examples). This is also the reason they have so many shipping restrictions.

A correctly designed charging and discharge circuit will have absolutely no issues using LiPo.
    The issue remains that in most current motoring applications these are being used in circuits designed by electronics engineers who had no idea that the rider may retroactively fit LiPo.
    Yes they may well work, but have you checked how hot the battery and regulator / generator coil is getting during idle, maximum revs or even just a regular commute?

You can run your bikes lubrication on a £3 / gallon oil, diesel or Motul......but which one did the engine designer intend for you to use?

PS
    I've no axe to grind with either the OEM Lead Acid or LiPo batteries...
    I now work in a completely different industry.
    Just putting some information out there.

PPS
    Ask yourself this.
    If a LiPo battery is "just the same" as the normal battery why does it have to have it's own type of trickle charger?

PPPS
    The type of Ducati that has LiPo recommends that battery as that is what it is designed for.

#24 AirCon, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. And I deliberately never quoted any individual as saying Shite, but generalised about what people say on the net.
    Tales of doom and gloom on the web are rife and the only way that I can test this tech is to buy one and did so back in January. It has performed well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. How hot does the regulator get at tick over and 3,000 and 5000 and then maximum RPM?
    What is the maximum regulator operating temperature?
    This would be defined by the component with the lowest specified parameter or the nearest combustible material.:Watching::Snaphappy::Bookworm:
    I only ask as you have said it is performing well, as opposed to it appears to work. :Angelic:

7. I've just read this thread - just like so many others... How on earth can you make V twins for over 40 years and still be unable to get the starter motor power/ arrangements and battery / charging right.

When I read the title of the thread I was going to answer....

the easiest way to check is just to see if it'll start your Duke. If it does, then it's OK. If it doesn't, then it isn't...

... but perhaps that's assuming too much about the electrics. (It'd be true for most car batteries, and probably for Hondas).

Oh, well.

Nick

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. giphy.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. They really should fit the cable kit that Exige offers as Standard.... the OEM stuff is Shite!
    Just start any modern Ducati 10 times in row and feel how hot all the cables get.

10. the best way to check a battery is to stand on the side of the a40 for 3 hours and let the aa tell you it may or may not be fucked...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Not good for your sprag either. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information