1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ecu Reading Faults / Settings

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by naughtyG, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Hi,
    I have a Cagiva Elefant fitted with a ST2 944ie motor and loom.

I bought the cables to connect the bike to my laptop over USB, and I understand there is free software available that allows to reads faults and settings in the bike's ECU.

Does anyone know how all this works?

- is there software available for Mac, or is it all PC?
    - what's the best software to get?
    - how do you read faults and settings, is it self-explanatory or is there some manual/help file?

Thanks in advance!
    nG

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. You'll need JP Diag, but PC only I'm afraid unless your bike uses an IAW59 or IAW5A (the ST2 doesn't) then you can uses Scan5MX on Android. You will find all you need to know about JPdiag here : http://jpdiag.xooit.eu/index.php

3. Your bike uses the IAW16M ECU. What you can do with diagnostic software is limited. You need JPDiagOld diagnostic software. JP of the JPDiag Forum can provide this if you PM him on that forum (JPL250)

4. Thanks guys. I think I downloaded jpdiag already, I’m good to use PC on my Mac.
    Anyone has any clue as to what I should be looking out for in there?
    As in, what would be the correct / default values I should see, and are any error codes, if present, self-explanatory?

5. Has anyone got a screenshot of either jpdiag or the Guzzi tool, showing what the correct/default values should be, and any error codes meanings?
    I’m going to plug in tomorrow to test, and it would be great to have a headstart if anyone has been there before.
    Thanks!
    nG

6. No, I have no screen shots.
    The correct values are fairly obvious; engine temperature with a cold engine will be the same as the air temperature, both about ambient. Rpm should be much the same as the revcounter shows. TPS will show a value that changes from fully closed to wide open throttle and it must change smoothly from FC to WO with no jumps. The closed throttle value is critical and for your bike should be 2.4º and 404mV and requires setting mechanically to 150mv with the throttle stop backed off and the throttle fully closed. You can find the procedure for that here.
    Error codes normally have a description but will also have standard DTC number (Diagnostic Trouble Code) that you can look up on the web. e.g P0115 - P0119 relate to the engine coolant sensor.
    Any problems just ask.

7. Thank Derek,
    plugged in today, using the Guzzi diag sw, and selecting a bike with the 16M ECU. I got readings very close to 2.4 and 404mV so happy with that. Found the Vapor gauge rpm is spot on, and the engine temp gauge is good. Checked thermostat and it opens/closes as expected, and the electric fan comes on at 107C and cuts out at 102C, so everything in order.
    Put fresh plugs in, played a little with throttle stop and airbleed screws, dialled in the ECU trim and it feels pretty good.
    Now for riding, to find out if my fuel return in tank pipe fix will do what it’s supposed to.
    All tomorrow tho..

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information