1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Bicycles

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Aug 6, 2020.

1. I am considering - considering - getting a electric bike.

Although I've got two pushbikes (a racer with flat tyres and a mountain bike with no seat!) but I'm not confident on taking them out on the road because if I have to stop quickly, I may put the wrong leg down - that will make me swear!

Whilst I'm banned from driving, it would give me warm F&^k Y*)! glow when I think of the DVLA!

But, the cost is quite sexy!

Has anyone got an electric bicycle? If so, what's the thought? Any good? Should I just concentrate on getting stronger and doing normal cycling?

I'm thinking that I should now....

Oh, and since running is never coming back (out of choice, one replacement hip is enough!) my main keep fit exercise will be cycling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Trouble bought one earlier this year and after trying it, went out and bought a Carrera Crossfire from Halfords (no forum discount:() most enjoyable way of cycling and whilst we only do a few miles per trip we both really enjoy the cycling without the pain of pumping up the hills.
    Would happily set out on a 35/40 mile round trip and be confident the battery would last.
    Just wish the assistance wasn't limited to 15.5 MPH:(
    A few friends have tried it and all come back with a smile saying how enjoyable it was.
    Take one out for a test ride and see for yourself:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bought my Mrs a Haibike so we could both get out whilst I was training for 100mile sportive, 100 mile range and selectable “assistance” she loves it. She can comfortably ride at 18mph on the flat and she mullers me on the hills, I’ve even taken to pushing on on long climbs but she just flips it in turbo mode which gives 300% assistance and winds me in:-( marvellous bit of kit and very reliable Bosch motor
    https://www.haibike.com/gb/en/ebikes/ladies-ebikes/sduro-hardseven-life-20-gb994?id=4540186035

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fecking 'ell! Serious money!

Gonna have a think. I may ask my physio for advice before trying this!

5. Not sure what your employment situation is but the GCI {green commute initiative) looks like a good way to get an ebike, top limit is £10k so you can get whatever you want and by using the salary surrender payback you save on tax and NI (which is nice).

I'm just browsing the Colnago site :thinkingface:o_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. The BMW i have was kindly donated to me by my son, he had it either re-mapped or a chip installed although the speedo doesn't show the correct speed he reputedly was clocked around 40 mph on a straight. I know i can achieve 25 mph + on a cycle way which for than quick enough

7. Its amazing what a diverse bunch we -and people generally- are. I wouldn't dream of paying that kind of money for an electric bike even if I were the Sultan of Brunei. That said, I'm really happy that a bunch of you have something you enjoy so much that its worth spending the time and money to pursue it. Life is about doing what makes you happy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just for you Jez - you know you want to (and it's not even electric) :eek:
    upload_2020-8-7_9-43-19.png

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. No salary to surrender! No commuting and quite happy with that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sometimes Jez nice things happen to you, i personally have never paid more than £50 for a push bike and never would, being donated an electric bike has given me my physical excercising freedom back. I could have burdened the NHS with maybe two new knees mine is the better option imo.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Thanks for the link. They are effing expensive.. but nice. When I get some money in, I might actually get one. Although there are no mountains near me, this one does interest me ...
    upload_2020-8-7_10-47-39.png

12. coolio.........

13. I bought this Phileas Fogg style contraption a few years back which IIRC cost £3.5k as an ex demo base model. It has a road legal mode (250w and no assistance beyond 15.5mph) and "off road" mode (3kw and assistance all the way until it maxes out at circa 35mph). I then had telescopic forks fitted (at my own expense) and a new motor, upgraded battery and controller fitted under warranty (twice) as the bike was a bit of a Friday afternoon job and regularly broke down. The last motor replacement was about 3 months ago after a sensor got knocked out of alignment when I high sided (yes, high sided) it while messing around pretending to be Kenny Roberts Jnr on a gravel track and then the fact that the motor wasn't running properly due to the sensor being out of whack caused the whole unit to burn out. https://www.vintageelectricbikes.com/products/roadster?variant=29668792107083

67ACACA3-454C-4389-A81B-F7DDE5A8309A.jpeg
    View attachment 213687

I also bought 2 "cheap" (£800 each) eMTBs off fleaBay, but have had nothing but trouble with them from the get go. They've been off the road for 2 years now, but I will be getting a guy to try and repair them or at least cannibalise them into one working bike. The seller went out of business so there was no chance of proper recompense. NB: bike pictured is the same type but not the same brand.

[​IMG]

Given my experience with unreliable eBikes I would strongly caution against buying cheaply off eBay and would recommend only buying from someone/somewhere where you are going to get decent and easy to access after sales care.

Also, battery power is a big factor as it determines range. Don't believe the claims sellers will make and as a general rule, halve any claims made as to range, especially if you live in a hilly area. Anything lower than 12ah isn't worth having as it will run out of charge in less than 15 miles or so. My Chitty Chitty Bang Bike's battery has a 48ah battery which the manufacturer says will give you 75 miles but IME is only good for about 30 miles if I put the bike on the highest power setting and am heavy with the throttle.

#17 Zhed46, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. There's always the 'Ferrari' option of e-bike if sir is interested;
    upload_2020-8-7_11-51-30.png

15. Did you buy them off a chap called 'Trigger' :thinkingface::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I am quite impressed by highsiding and electric bike!

I'll take that as another vote for Ducati, then.

I haven't researched this thoroughly, but I take it the Ducati option won't be the cheapest - but the coolest!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information