1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Vehicles - The New Future?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Oh. Joy. As if driving isn’t enough of a stifling and nerve racking experience already due to the millions of cameras on the roads, without an on-board digital snitch snooping on your every move as well.

I reckon it’s also only a matter of time before insurance will become ruinously expensive unless you “voluntarily” have one retrofitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I know the electrical infrastructure is incapable of coping with ev's at present, i know of one development that was going to have ev charging points at each home, this was stopped by the electricity supplier as the incoming supply couldnt cope ......now how many homes have more than one vehicle? How are they going to charge/ refuel in this new clean world.

3. Regarding Prince Charles Aston running on “wine and cheese” - As usual, information without any context. As is much of the ‘green’ movement and in fact anything else seemingly at the moment

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. The content of that was interesting and potentially quite drole. The jerky filming and the guys delivery really diminished it.

5. Mike knows his stuff. Very well respected.

chief Engine developer at various manufactures in the past

6. Quite interesting that….

• Agree Agree x 1

7. don’t get me started on EV’s and all this climate stuff. It pisses me off.

I’m all for cleaning up our act but as usual everything we are doing at the moment does fuck all and is hugely flawed (but that part will be omitted to us as usual).

COP26 prime example. Fucking 400 private jets in Glasgow & JLR supplied a fleet of I-Pace jags to move around the delegate tossers for the event. No charging points so the government hired a shed load of diesel generators from Aggreko to charge them. Hilarious.

I know various people at the grid as well as some guys in nuclear and renewables who all tell me that this country does not have the generating capacity to guarantee that the lights will stay on this winter, never mind charge 3 million electric cars.

But don’t worry, we are doing the right thing :joy:

#48 Advikaz, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Do the solar panels you see on peoples houses generate enough electricity to charge an electric vehicle each day?

9. According to my weather station, in August there was between 200 and 400 watts/m2 of sunlight.
    So I would say probably not.

10. I’m not an expert in the sector but from my knowledge most panels are 250watt each and depending on how many you’ve got (let’s say 8) you’d maybe save roughly £200 per year on your electricity bill.
    The initial outlay on this means that they take approximately 15 years to pay for themselves and generally need replacing after 25 years.

It would assist with charging an ev. But it’s small fry in comparison to what would actually be needed.
    I recall that if everyone started to drive ev’s tomorrow, England would need an extra 5 nuclear power stations just to support it.

11. Probably not if you charge it at night? Mine generated 3454KWh in the last year, around 600 each winter quarter and 1300 in the summer quarters.

you’ll have to work out if that’s enough to charge a car (assuming you do it during the day?

you also have to take into account, if your on one of the old tarries like mine it doesn’t pay you to because I get paid 56p per unit to generate it back to the grid. Don’t want to be wasting that on charging a car that cost me a fraction of that to buy it per unit?

oh and they pay me around £1800 - £2000 a year

12. If the electric car industry is struggling with the supply of Lithium now, what is going to happen when we all drive these ill conceived contraptions.
    Good news is There will still be plenty of oil in the ground.

#53 hypermotbloke, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. I’ll stick to petrol then.

14. The ev people will say new battery technology will be developed etc etc etc and Ofcourse it will.

It’s still got to be charged though and developed Ofcourse as well as created which all has to be taken in to account. The movement seem very keen not to document any of the associated damage that is doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yes Lithium mining and processing has a massive impact on the local ecology, highly polluting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. It’s not just a question of how much the panels produce but also storing the leccy they generate.

This guy has done the maths (or math, as he would say as he’s a septic)
    https://diysolarshack.com/how-many-solar-panels-charge-tesla/

17. I don’t think battery power is a solution, it’s a stepping stone to the next thing, maybe hydrogen?

18. I have heard that the next big thing is elastic, sort of like a rubber band. Does anyone remember those model aeroplane with the big rubber band connected to the propeller?

You had to turn the propeller many times, then throw and release....the elastic would unwind and hey presto.

Not really sure how it would work in a car.

Sounds like it might be a wind up.

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. I chose laughing as there isn’t a large groan rating :p

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information