1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Vehicles - The New Future?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Apr 10, 2021.

1. yes, but it’s cheaper to own in the long run. Life cycle cost is lower

2. I'm not usually rude. I guess I can be contemptuous as I see fit. Anyway, never mind that shite....

You still haven't answered my question. Will you be rushing out to buy one of these super duper continent munching EV's?

3. Long run? Like if you're still driving when you're 136?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Cant find the article but I have read that an ev is more expensive and polluting at the start and end of its life but much better than ic in the middle.
    And we are going to need more pylons for power transmission...

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  5. I'd love an Electric vehicle.
    But my issue is towing my boat, which is 3tns on it's trailer full of camping gear, 200 miles, then needing proper 4x4 capabilities to drag it across gravel beaches, muddy wet campsites, and even up and down wet slimy slipways. I don't want to stop a couple of times in each direction for a couple of hours to charge the tow vehicle, then have no access to charge it on a campsite mid trip.
    Using my Petrol generator to charge it would sort of defeat the object.

As you can imagine my 3.0l Diesel 65 plate Discovery performs all of the above incredibly well, like the earlier Discovery and Shoguns I've previously had, but I can't see an EV doing it any time soon.

My Disco will however need changing in the next few years, and as I don't like the new shape full size Discovery I'll be looking at the larger engine Hybrid Defenders.

D868233A-5AC2-41C5-88E4-1BBEB21FBDCD.jpeg

I actually have a similar issue with the boat.
    Swapping the 225HP V6 2-stroke engine for one that has the same range from batteries is going to be hard.

I realise that none of the above paints me in a good light with regard to my carbon footprint.

#125 Nasher, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022

6. How long is a piece of string really isn’t it.

The current interim ev’s as well as their predecessors are basically test mules. So their development and creation as well as disposal has got to come in to the calculation (which it never does).

I could go on about this all day because really where do you stop. If you look at it for what it actually is, it’s not clean at all.

Not long ago nuclear was the anti christ now it’s the future (until it goes wrong).

The human race is ultimately doomed in my opinion (long term). We can stress ourselves out as much as we like but the reality is, there’s consequences of any existence including ours. You can’t get rid of consequences.

We are epically fixated on certain things, which is a joke really because the associated footprint of things like crypto currency’s is in some cases more than some small countries !!!

#126 Advikaz, Jan 18, 2022
  7. This is it. Towing a trailer draws amps. Think of torque. It'll flatten a battery quick sharp. When they have a battery that will power a tractor all day whilst plowing a field, I'll pay attention. I've a feeling that's a long way away....

8. Are you still completely ignoring what the step change in technology means for battery amp hours?

9. There's a lot of hidden costs to an EV... I used to know the head if service at Tesla UK, I was chatting to him years ago now and yes mechanically there isn't much to go wrong, obviously the cost of the batteries means that if they fail you are into an astronomical bill, but what he did say was that Tesla's (I'm guessing dual motor variants) will chew through a set of tyres every 5k miles due to the torque and the weight, that's going to be heading towards a grand every few months if you are doing decent mileage.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I am given a company car so why would I?

How many times have I told you I have a company car?

I am not 2 Jags Prescott you know. The next thing I buy with an engine will be a big dirty boat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. i am absolutely convinced that whatever my car saves in fuel the company spends on tyres. Not that I accelerate hard or anything, but on twisty A roads I leave the cruise control on and make use of

big diesel engine in the front
    Big battery pack over the rear axle

corners better than the Boxster I used to own.

everyone can make their own judgement as to whether a EV or plug in hybrid is right for them. All I am giving to the discussion is my own experience (pleasantly surprised) and an update on the latest tech.

the thing I like most after the handling is the quiet

12. There's probably only Rivian that could do anything like that currently, but I'm not sure if they are available in the UK yet, mileage is quoted at 314 but that'll be before towing etc.

13. who told you we will need more pylons?

The future of our electricity network is planned to involve

more homes having solar panels and batteries

car batteries powering houses when they get home at night and charging up in the small bourse. That’s why the second generation of smart meters is being rolled out. That can handle homes powered by cars and control charging in line with what the grid can supply.

14. If turbines replaced pylons there’s an argument . They won’t, so it’s not. I’ve sen the off her ones in the mouth of Anhleys. Pretty horrendous imho, blot on the landscape. Same in some other parts of wales and Scotland. England has a different issue: fields and fields and fields of mirrors!

#134 bradders, Jan 18, 2022
  15. Spot on. A guy I know said exactly the same thing. Tyre consumption was really pissing him off… As you say, weight and big torque.

16. They do oddly have a lot of reliability issues with Tesla’s which I find very odd considering as you say, there’s surely less to go wrong.

The degradation of cells is pretty mega as well. After 5 years especially

17. You’d need a shit load of solar panels and wind farms to even make a dent. That again is another problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wind turbines?

Not a big fan.

Dya geddit? Not a big fan…. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Until it’s significant, yes.

20. That’s a matter of opinion. Like many. I think they are graceful. They also don’t irradiate the environment as the nuclear industry does.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information