1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Vehicles - The New Future?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Graceful?! I’d rather see the woods, trees and rolling hills.

2. :laughing::laughing::laughing: That’s got to be the daftest thing you’ve said on here! And you do come out with some daft shit. Take a bow :laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I should add to my post about towing that obviously if you ignore range EVs should be better at towing because of their Torque characteristics compared to a Piston engine.

4. :joy::joy::joy: solar power at home charging your car. The pic below shows today's radiation levels, so how many m2 will you need to do a 75kwhr battery :thinkingface:
    Screenshot_20220118-200105_Samsung Internet.jpg

5. If you’re roof has a similar m2 size to an Amazon distribution warehouse, you’ll be fine!! :laughing:

6. I know lots of people who have the same opinion. I drive my Hunterston Nuclear Power stations every week. It’s not pretty.

i have been to many hydro electric stations. They are not pretty either. Or maybe you think they look great.

it’s a rare day when you say anything which is remotely intelligent, thought through and anything other than knee jerk party political right wing drivel

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. More drivel. Most homes can have significant portion of their electricity demand powered by solar panels with battery storage. obviously not the car.

If you want to compare qualifications and experience on this subject I am more than happy to do that.

8. I agree a good proportion of household electrical supply can be met with roof panels and deep discharge batteries but this thread is about ev and its just not possible to fully charge them off grid in an urban environment.
    But saying that if I got tax breaks to buy a hybrid I would have one.
    Even though they are an evolutionary dead end.

9. We live in a world where there is much cooperation between manufacturers. An example in automation would be OBD2.

EVs can be developed so that new battery technologies can be added to existing cars. In fact this doesnt even need to have cross manufacturer cooperation.

battery technology is moving fast. Lithium air is in development which offers fast charge and researchers have now demonstrated a functional quantum battery which doesn’t need charging.

you may find this interesting

https://physicsworld.com/a/physicists-create-quantum-phase-battery/

10. you still can. I can see the hills and barely see the turbines on them when at a distance. But sadly most our hills are covered in non indigenous trees. I will worry about trees once the Sitka and Norwegian Spruce have all been removed because these annoy me more

11. ‘Obviously not the car’ another beauty. This thread is about EV’s, thicko…

12. Had you missed the part where I informed you how the car battery and house work together to smooth demand over peak periods? The car then gets charged from the grid overnight? Solar panels charge electricity for domestic use through the day. I am sorry you can’t understand this simple concept. I am sorry you just aren’t bright enough to accommodate the concept of energy being transferable back and forward
    And you are stuck in the old way of thinking. are you a true dinosaur just Waiting for extinction?

13. I think you need help mate…

14. I miss a lot of what you write. I kinda skim read it… unless I fancy a giggle.

15. Other comments in this debate...

So energy prices rocketting, so this will obviously decrease the desire for EV's I'm not saying that electricity will be in-line with petrol/diesel but the overall cost/running costs gap reduces, I mentioned tyres already.

Going back to charging though and the dire network, I'm lucky to have ample off road parking so if I had an EV I could charge at home at "A" per per KW and if required top up via public charging at "B, C, D, E" per KW, depending on the charge speed/provider.

People without a driveway i.e. terraced housing, block of flats etc will be forced to use public chargers whether they be on-street (lamp posts) or at the numerous outlets, but they will be forced to pay a premium over "my" home tariff which doesn't ring true. So we have a tiered "fuel"pricing system based upon whether you have a home charger or not???

I'm sure these questions have been raised by someone in a position to transform transport in the UK but I haven't seen anything yet how this will be catered for?? And I guess this will also affect the earlier point of plugging power back into the network from your EV if you have no means to do so?

16. Interesting study, based on a small number of nissan leaf cars. Also peppered with 'should' and 'could'.
    So it depends on drivers always leaving the cars plugged in at home to have the battery capacity available for the grid to charge/discharge.
    All fine and well for houses with off road parking.
    No use whatsoever for the vast majority of houses in my area with on street parking only.
    Or maybe this is a stealth way to get rid of private transport.

17. would, could, should is used in every feasibility study. No one writes anything as definite.

1/3 of houses don’t have driveways.

https://www.transportxtra.com/publi...eway-or-garage-to-install-a-home-chargepoint/

Not sure why everyone would need a driveway? There are other ways to charge a car? Does anyone have an expectation that everyone would/could/should want to use their car to feed power back to the grid?

it’s always the same on this board. There are a group of people who expect the ideal systems and products to be rolled out on day one. If they were around when the wheel was invented they would have moans that it

should be carbon fibre
    Is the wrong diameter
    Is the wrong width
    Needs to have disk brakes

not saying that applies To you @ducv2 but it does apply to others

electric cars need batteries. You could buy a Tesla today and still be using it 30 years having replaced the battery twice in that time frame with two or three wildly different battery technologies.

18. That’s all ok if it suits you to start. But millions it won’t. And look back in history: ‘technology of the future will sort this’ is an often used phrase and rarely comes to fruition. If you believe the 60’s and 70’s we’d all be working in a fully automated world where cars drive themselves and we have hover boards.

Simple facts are: how do you charge cars when living in a city tower block? How do people who need a cheap vehicle to get to those lowest paid jobs afford to buy one? Likely same people. This won’t change regardless of technology, unless you are crazy enough (or naïve) to believe solar charging cars while you dive or a network of magnetic charging cables under roads (think wireless phone charging) or similar from lamp posts will get from idea and design board to network and, importantly, work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Not sure why everyone would need a driveway? There are other ways to charge a car? Does anyone have an expectation that everyone would/could/should want to use their car to feed power back to the grid?

I raised this earlier, if you've got off road parking you are laughing literally all the way to the bank as you can utilise lower tariffs, but people who don't have to pay double/triple for the same electricity how is that fair, and how will that drive adoption?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information