1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Vehicles - The New Future?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Apr 10, 2021.

1. I would not know the answer to that question. We are talking about policy decisions that will be made by government.

depends on a lot of factors. It is entirely possible for someone to have a 400 mile car but only use 35 miles a day and can charge their car when shopping at Sainsburys for nothing. But if the don’t have a driveway they can’t be putting power back into the grid. Would it be necessary for every car to be feeding back into the grid? Probably not. I think it would be unwise and therefore unlikely for governments of any Colour to plan for a one size fits all solution. We have to be realistic. Perfection doesn’t exist but it would be pretty stupid to make not achieving perfection be the enemy of what’s actually good for a lot of people.

2. The difference is here person A has a driveway and person B parks on street, they both fill up their ICE cars for the same ££ per litre, switch them out to EV's and person B who probably (and I am generalising) cannot afford a house with off street parking is penalised because of this.

3. How is much higher cost, disproportionate cost and lower access to servcie good for a lot of people? Because most people don’t have access to a charging servcie at their home, nor will they ever. Simply a question of those with money will benefit. Again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. you can charge at supermarkets for free. Tesla is free for Model X and Y at their charge stations.

5. How can it be “most people” when it’s only one third?

where I lived in Twickenham there was in street charging all over the place. Even some lamp posts had it.

6. That's not really a solution is it, and the supermarket charges will be slow and limited. For Tesla the cheapest X is £82K, not many will have on street parking for that £££, Y is around £35K basic so maybe...

The cost varies greatly for each charging company so your cheapest charger maybe 30 miles away, and the most expensive on your doorstep, it needs to evolve greatly before people willingly move, that and a number of other factors. Boris has 8 years to make this happen (although I doubt he'll see out the month).

7. Is it more expensive that a home wall charger though?

8. have you seen how 5G works?

have you seen quantum batteries and how they work?

9. I’ve seen how snake oil salesman work. Like Musk.

10. I really don't have a problem with electric vehicles, in certain places they are ideal I.e. conurbations and I imagine the instant power makes them rewarding to drive. But I really think they are being pushed without a coherent plan for a stable charging network.
    Evs could also do with solar panels on their roofs as standard. Might help with range a bit.

11. Nice to see someone with half a voice talking about the subject (ev’s being flawed).

12. Personally I think well done Tim for talking about this subject, that many seem to want avoid talking about.

I’ve been involved in motorsport my entire life and with manufactures (test and dev side) for a long time also. I have never met anyone credible who genuinely believes EV’s are the future or indeed cleaner. They’re exceptionally flawed I can only assume it’s money related personally.

Manufactures I’ve spoken with (when not infront of the cameras) usually state that they get a lot of government pressure to develop them, cash injections and penalties for not…

Seems like we are being led up the garden path again… not that this is new

Over the last few years I have never seen so much data without context being batted about. It’s deliberately misleading.
    You can make data look however you want essentially and most certainly to suit an agenda…

By the time the electric vehicle becomes more efficient it’ll likely be in the bin or at very least had numerous battery changes (rinse and repeat) - that is to say that the clock very much starts again.
    Not to mention the fact that the vehicles people are buying at the moment are early ish gen still and will also become redundant.

If the gov really wanted to be clean they’d stop the buy and throw away society ! And all of this manufacturing ! But they won’t… because money. You can always follow the money.
    Notice how a lot of the old ways are coming back around… glass bottles instead of plastic. Paper bags etc.. I wonder if maintaining an existing combustion engine would indeed be far better for the environment over relentless production of new vehicles that aren’t green anyway.

Also worth noting that not all renewable energy is actually zero emission and zero emission in itself is being thrown around a lot on things that aren’t true to their name.
    The U.K. struggled to reach demands for power this winter alone, how on Earth would it cope with another x’ amount of ev’s on the road with no further plans for expanding production. Realistically the only route would be numerous new nuclear power stations on top of a lot of wind farms and solar panels. Still not exactly green. Nuclear isn’t exactly green either. Not to mention outages! Some people in Kent haven’t had power since Friday ! Oh and the price of electricity is conveniently going through the roof!

I am excited to how Porsche get on with synthetic fuel.. this would mean that existing combustion vehicles could run on it which surely has got to be cleaner than creating a load of throw away ev’s..

Ethanol is another thing, added to fuel for tail pipe emissions yet it can burn up to 30% faster.. so you need more of it you’ve got to laugh really. Plus ethanol is horrendous for the environment to create.

The whole thing is massively flawed, sadly some cannot see this somehow. It’s like the population have forgotten how to think for themselves or question anything.

You can argue till the cows come home that ev’s make sense. But to replace all of the ice cars with them when the creation of them is on average 60% worse than ice is shocking. And manufactures HAVE to sell units in order to exist so they’ll be making as many as possible and people will buy as many as possible. (Not fucking green is it).

#173 Advikaz, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Our place has got 16 solar panels on the roof. The previous owner had them fitted in 2009, so they pull in nearly £2k a year. Plus lower electric bills. He also had a charging point fitted, but decided not to buy an EV. Maybe because the cost of a new battery can make them scrap before they're 10 years old.

14. More here on the subject

15. Who wants to spend 30% of a long trip waiting for the poxy batteries to charge up.
    That's if you can find a charging point free, that actually works.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. He did a good video in his Taycan about his charging woes and also the potential hidden costs some time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have read on MSN news, the caravan club have started stealing charging leads.
    I wondered how long it would be, before the country cousins realised the potential profit in these thefts.
    Either in scrap value or resale on gumtree or EBay.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Just too much unsubstantiated government and manufacturer bullshit for me to be persuaded about the virtues of EVs.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information