1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrician's Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Arquebus, Apr 1, 2019.

1. City electrical factors supplied a changeover switch several years ago to me so i could run two showers from one supply for a customer. It mounted in a two gang sunk box. So the switch is out there somewhere.

2. OK, point taken..............I wonder if it is because regs have been upgraded since the tests on my system over 10 years ago.

I guess it can easily be resolved, although do I need to protect the 'split' supply twice for each appliance; or just once after the RCCB? I am thinking that a 40Amp MCB would do it.

3. Cheers.........I hope your memory gets better, so you can tell me exactly what it was.;)

4. Just use a damp piece of string,all will be fine!

5. Hi Arquebus, it’s very difficult just looking at the pictures, but it looks to me, that maybe the only overload protection you have for the shower and Klargester circuits, is the electricity boards main fuse, obviously we can’t tell from the photos what rating it is, maybe 60, 80 or 100 Amps, which is fine for the grey coloured, main tails you can see, but wouldn’t offer the correct protection for the cables leaving either the RCCB OR RCD, and you wouldn’t expect to see the electricity boards fuse used to protect these circuitS anyway. It’s easily rectified, but as Aircon rightly mentioned in an earlier post, the MCB rating is dependant on length of cable, and installation method (if it passes through insulation for example), as well as the cable size. The primary function of an MCB is to protect the cable. The above did still apply ten years ago, and certainly you still need the RCCB and RCD as they have a roll to play. Maybe if you have the test certificate from ten years ago, have a look and see if anything was noted down, about those two circuits. Again I could easily be missing something. Regards RDP

6. Main board fuse is 60Amp......and believe it or not, that was the only emergency we ever had with the system just before I changed the distribution panel.

It must have been installed when first installed (say, 10 years before I lived in the house) and the fuse holder was a bit loose, so intermittent contact problems could occur, which had obviously happened and corroded the contacts.

Flickering lights and a fizzing sound alerted us and 24/7 came out at 1.00am and changed the mains fuse and holder.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information