1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrics And Collectables

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by duc13, Feb 24, 2019.

1. So with the onset of e/v's on the way, do you think our Ducati collectables are going to be worth more when the ev's become mainstream (another 20 years maybe?) or they aren't going to be worth shit.
    Don't think we will run out of fuel in my life time but they're going to affect the value one or the other, will there value rise or fall????

2. The cycle will remain similar to the past - it's an age / time / romantic thing for most values.
    Prices will drop for 5 to 20 years depending on the bike, then rise for a couple of decades or 3, then level off - apart from the rarest which will continue to rise (like Vincents and Broughs and Ducati R models in the future o_O)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I best buy one of those then. o_O You should get in quick yourself. :eyes:

4. Oh go on then :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. You think :thinkingface:

6. Depends on the way the laws and regulations go, which is a political issue.

A. If new petrol-engined bikes eventually become unobtainable but 40 year old ones are still legal (and free of extra charges), then the historics will become like gold dust.

B. But if special concessions for historics are abolished or extra restrictions on their use imposed, then the old bikes just become museum exhibits.

My guess is most probably A, but B is still possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Though it is worth mentioning that pre 1980 bikes registered as historic are allowed in the new ULEZ in London. Best buy an old smoky blue stroke if you haven't already got one & you ride frequently in the smoke!

8. I don’t think E/V’s will be the deciding factor re bike values in the UK, I think it will be the lack of motorcyclists, look around you at your next bike meet, how many of the attendees have grey hair?, 80%?, so give it another 15 years and a fair proportion of the current market will have given up motorcycling, combine that with the lack of new motorcyclists due to the expense and rigmarole of passing a bike test these days and I believe the market will collapse, in the UK at least, that said all of the major bike producers have voiced concerns about future markets so it probably won’t just be the UK, anyone hoarding bikes for investment purposes would be wise to unload in ten years time IMO, unless it’s a Brough or similar as that’s a different market which is influenced less by demographics (or motorcyclists!), the end is nigh!.

9. I think the availability of petrol in the future will dictate how things go. The bikes will still be there but if the fuel isn't or it's too expensive then bikes will become nothing more than ornaments. There's part of me that has a romantic vision of the future where everything will be buzzing and humming then there will be me thundering through the countryside on a noisy V twin amidst a mixture of disgusted and admiring onlookers. :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 4
  10. I'm hoping it's "A" Pete, a crystal ball would be nice :)

11. I think that 95% of bikers have grey hair or no hair..... other than the 125 commuters.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information