1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Emulsified Oil

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Spjallen, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Not having much luck atm but here we go. See if you guys could help out please.

Had some troubles with the bike of late with very poor running which was fixed with a new fuel pump asssmbly then onto a clutch issues with it leaking oil - bizzarely but I think that's an route to being sorted. Whilst draining the oil to solve the above I drained the oil but it's like milk and completely emulsified.

I guess it's a head gasket change. Has anyone got a good video of this I can watch before I crack on with it? ( a video of changing the gaskets before you all turn into peter Kay! )

The history is its a race bike, but stood for nearly a year as I was working away from home. All was well until the fuel issue. Fixed that and confirmed it on a dyno. Left the bike in the van for a week after. Would that environment help introduce water in the oil? Just ruling a flush out before I start the strip down.

Cheers guys.

2. Not getting the bike up to temp can cause this, happens loads in winter when bikes only ridden 20 mins.

If you have been starting/stopping engine loads without a really good run it may have caused it. Leaving on tick over for 20 mins won't sort it, she needs a bloody good thrashing!

Of course, if the head gasket is fooked then a dam good thrashing is probably a very bad idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. it's one of those "they all do that" well a lot do, it almost always tends to be short rides, winter,colder riding etc, look up things like oil window

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/condensation.47484/

I ended up doing my ride no matter how many miles then when I got back, took off the oil filler cap, stuck a bit of kitchen roll in the filler cap hole (the bike musn't be too hot) and leave it till my next ride. Most of the time this removed most of the white milky on the window oil glass

• Like Like x 1
  4. Check your coolant, has it dropped significantly? If so, it could be the head gasket.

If coolant OK, then the "water" could be condensation from short engine runs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think it's pretty bad. The emulsified oil has travelled up the crank breather and just entered the breather pipe - didn't make it to the air box though. I'll probably try the flush as I've not a lot to loose before the heads come off.

6. Yep, i've had it there on my 999. Not a huge amount, but it was there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You will need to ascertain where the oil and water are coming together. Don't just assume it's the head gasket. Could be cracked cyl head, water pump drive seal etc.

@nelly might be able to advise on a common weak spot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've had a milky window and a mayonnaise clogged wet clutch.
    Never completely emulsified oil when I've drained it though.
    Sounds worrying...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jen had the same problem with her hypermotard you need to get the bike up to operating temp before you ride or it wont get warm enough to burn off the condensation

• Like Like x 1
  10. If it's an ex race bike, it is likely that this has only had plain water in the radiator. Long term exposure to plain water isn't good for the engine coolant galleries nor is it kind in freezing temperatures. I agree with ducatidad, there are several possibilities to illiminate before stripping the heads off. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. I had the same happen on a KTM, the water pump housing had corroded through and the coolant gone into the crankcase.

May not be the case here but it's an easier thing to check, before having the heads off...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks again guys.

It's still a race bike ( when it works ) and as you said it's only had distilled water in it.

The long period off is a worry to me - it had a year off and was only run every couple of months for twenty mins tops.

Is / are there any definitive tests you can do to confirm it's the heads before I strip it? The thing is the rad hadn't lost a drop of water. But I need to confirm the reserve. Drained the water today and it was just water. Nothing showing.

13. Simplest test now there is no 'coolant' is a cylinder pressure test. If there is a breach, you'll lose pressure but it sounds like your problem is one of lack of use. Fingers crossed. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. When my 749 was used daily I had a lot of it, 20 min rides into work in the winter and so on.
    What I used to do was after a ride home I would just open the oil cap to let the steam out, after a few times it cleared, and then I just used to do this every few days to clear it. But depends really. Like others said if coolant or water level is ok I would change the oil and see.

15. As a matter of interest, what oil is in it?

16. Hi
    You say it was running poorly and you replaced the fuel pump to sort. What were the symptoms? My 999 has a misfire and and scratching my head to find out what it is.....

17. Thanks for all the replies. I'll change the clutch seals, water pump seals, oil drain and flush and see if it's the head. Easy stuff first.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information