1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Engine Differences

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by JoeC, Feb 18, 2019.

1. 1996 :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. So based on the information available to me....
    Ducati 748 first registered 4 Jan 1996
    Colour RED
    last MOT was 17/7/2017 when that index passed it had 12846 miles on the clock expires 24/7/2018

3. it had no MOT between 2009 and 2014 when it was next MOTd, when according to the MOT mileage history there is then a discrepancy where it loses an amount of recorded mileage prior to the 2015 MOT......

it goes

2006 45997 Advisory MOT no lights fitted
    2009 48380 Advisory MOT no lights fitted
    2014 11595
    2015 12150
    2016 12457
    2017 12846

obviously numbers can be recorded wrong....:rolleyes:

4. Weirdly, it’s engine number, at least the number on the sump, is only 13 away from mine. Mine’s 10914 and it’s deffo a 1999 model as I’ve had it from new and doubt it had been hanging around in the dealer’s for 3 years :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks, I have most of that with the bike (V5C and various past MOT’s). I was waiting for some major insightful revelation; like it could float or was made entirely out of hazelnuts or something!

6. When I get the invoice I’ll ping a mail to Ducati. Purely curiosity, as it’s going to form the basis of a short circuit track bike as it’s already more than half way there!

7. So the bike is 1996 and the engine is 2000 model year. Remind me what did you buy it as? The dealer would have known the mileage from the MOT records and the date of 1st registration so you should have some leeway for a refund if this wasn't disclosed and you were sold it as an R?

8. yet having looked at it you were asking if it is an R...

Its not an R not even an S
    That registration should be RED not Yellow
    Its been clocked
    Daytime Mot suggests track bike at some point
    powder coated frame in Yellow means its been apart
    not seeing the Vin may mean a different frame so probably been crashed
    more than likely NOT a kyalami frame hence the old one piece air box and no shower injectors..

All that glitters..

9. It was purely sold as a 748 in full disclosure. I thereafter noticed on viewing that it had a number of interesting parts. Remember that I bought it solely for the Ohlins front end and BST wheels which are heading towards my 998? The rest of the bike is/was surplus to requirements.

• Like Like x 2
  10. All cool then :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. You had the clutch apart yet........;)

12. I’m not taking a bite, just looking for insight as to what I had bought due to the number of different pieces. It is after all, 23 years old. I wanted the forks and the wheels only, now I know what to do with the rest. Thanks for your efforts, they are appreciated and I had no knowledge of this series of bike!

13. Hopefully at the weekend.

14. No one's mentioned the throttle bodies, on the standard 748 they are under the airbox with just the trumpets sticking into the airbox, they seem very high.

15. I would be surprised a dealer would sell a bike with a frame that has no visible VIN.

It wasnt owned by Lorenzo or similar, was it? :bucktooth:

16. Could be an 'R' style airbox fitted with standard injectors. Would be interesting to see the type of frame cross brace under the airbox

17. Why not give them a call and enquire: Mark Liggins, SMC, Ducati Sheffield, +44 114 252 5454 and then perhaps give Trading Standards a call?

Also if you have time on your hands call Claus Carstens, Ducati Schleswig Holstein and satisfy yourself as to the provenance of my 999R ZDMH400AA3B006994, that should alleviate the need for you to keep going on about it on here. Remember though, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

18. Doesn't look like that to me, the side view of the bike shows the trumpet sticking up above the frame and airbox, standard 748 throttle bodies and trumpet would be much lower.

19. I will probably have the air box off over the weekend and post a pic of the frame.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. For what reason do I need to call the bike seller, or indeed TS? It wasn't my money that was spent.

I know I am old and doddery and forget things now and then..where have I previously mentioned your 999R?

I do remember however, trying to turn you away from the other "999R" that you left a deposit on..

You should enquire here first before jumping head first and listen to dealers spiel. It could save some back pedaling.

Now, let's see that 748 deep sump :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information